ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotobrushing - Is there something wrong with my technique?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
russell birkettRotobrushing - Is there something wrong with my technique?
by on Jan 14, 2015 at 12:10:25 pm

I've been trying to cut out a figure talking in a video using the rotobrush. The majority of the figure is fine, but as expected, there are issues with the hair. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it correctly, but would like to double check.
I'm creating a base frame and rotobrushing for about 20-30 frames in each direction. Working away from the base frame. Once I finished those, I select another frame beyond what I have just rotobrushed and do the same, 20-30 frames in each direction, meeting up with the first span. after rotobrushing 250 frames (ish) I click 'freeze' to cache them. Unfreeze to carry on. I'm convinced that some of the earlier frames have altered from what was 'frozen' as I'm having to go back and redo them, which I know is not a good work process. Can anyone shed any light on why apparently completed rotobrushed frames would alter?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Rotobrushing - Is there something wrong with my technique?
by on Jan 17, 2015 at 7:26:35 pm

If I understand correclty, you're rotobrushing 20-30 frames plus or minus from the base frame. So for example, at frame 100 is your base and you're rotobrushing to frame 70 and frame 130? I would suggest only going forward in time, maybe that'll help? I've never done what you're talking about, and never seem to have problems with my roto.

If the roto gets so bad that it's just not calculating like you want it, you may just have to rotobrush frame by frame. It's still easier than masking in most cases.

Jason Jantzen

Return to posts index

russell birkettRe: Rotobrushing - Is there something wrong with my technique?
by on Jan 18, 2015 at 9:52:29 am

Thanks for your reply Jason.
That's exactly what I'm doing. I will try just going forward and see if that makes a difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved