ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D text path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Mickelson3D text path
by on Jan 11, 2015 at 5:04:54 pm

I feel like I have done this before.
The text layer needs to follow a spiral path "down the drain".
The path is pasted from AI as a Mask on the text layer. The text follows the path just fine to the center of the spiral using Margin Alignment keyframes. I just cannot get the type path to recede into Z-space. I have tried adding a "Position" effect and selecting Ramp Up but the text does not follow the depth correctly.

Is there a simple solution?

Return to posts index

Erik MickelsonRe: 3D text path
by on Jan 11, 2015 at 5:14:16 pm

I should add that I can "fake it" by animating a null along the Z-axis and parenting the text layer to it. That method "works" but the path then shrinks with the null into Z-space creating an unnatural arc. The Null solution may have to work for now.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: 3D text path
by on Jan 11, 2015 at 7:39:44 pm
Last Edited By Brian Charles on Jan 11, 2015 at 7:40:44 pm

Would something like this work? I added scale as well as position and played with the offsets.

Type Spiral

Return to posts index

Erik MickelsonRe: 3D text path
by on Jan 11, 2015 at 8:02:39 pm

Very nice! I'll use this method over mine for sure.
Using the Scale with a Range Selector Offset stays truer to the path than using a null for scale(as I did). I would like to get it even closer, at about 2,10 the text veers off course a bit. I would like to keep ON the path from beginning to end. Maybe fiddling with the controls will get even closer.

I have Particular and Element 3D if anyone has a solution involving those plugs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved