ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lost in the Darks?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean ByrneLost in the Darks?
by on Jan 11, 2015 at 3:06:37 am

I'm having troubles where what I see in my comp window in AE doesnt look the same as what I get when I render it out. Specifically, my darks are a lot darker and more subtle in AE, and the render brightens them up a lot. In this image, I brought the rendered mov into the AE comp, and masked so AE preview is up top, and the render is on the bottom half.

I'm rendering to a Quicktime Motion JPEG A. I feel like I have used this codec a bunch and never noticed a problem with it, but maybe most of my stuff isnt this dark?

It's irksome.

In point of fact I kind of like the brightened up version, but its pretty hard to play to a guess while your setting up.

Any tips would be appreciated...

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Lost in the Darks?
by on Jan 11, 2015 at 10:31:42 am

[Ocean Byrne] "I'm having troubles where what I see in my comp window in AE doesnt look the same as what I get when I render it out"

Are you watching the file in Quicktime Player?

Return to posts index

Ocean ByrneRe: Lost in the Darks?
by on Jan 12, 2015 at 6:07:40 am

It is brighter r looking in the quicktime player, yes.

But it is also brighter if I drag the .mov into AE, and then bring it in on top of the very comp that rendered it.

?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lost in the Darks?
by on Jan 12, 2015 at 2:45:40 pm

There's a setting in QT for gamma that will probably set things right. It currently looks like it's set REC 709 or something like that.

And depending on what you need to deliver, it may be just fine the way it is.... and in fact SHOULD look like that.

So what are you delivering?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Lost in the Darks?
by on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:40:01 pm

Try checking the box "Match Legacy After Effects Quicktime Gamma Adjustments" in your project settings.

Also a heads up, M-Jpeg A is considered a deprecated codec by Apple. These days, I use photo-jpeg instead.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Lost in the Darks?
by on Jan 12, 2015 at 7:16:17 pm

Its your background color. You are probably using ae background and not an actual layer. which affects the adjustment layers if u have them.

Return to posts index

Ocean ByrneRe: Lost in the Darks?
by on Jan 12, 2015 at 8:15:40 pm

Thanks guys, I think you are all right.

I am just using an AE black bg, and while I only have 1 adjustment layer for a portion of the clip, I have a lot of layers set to Screen or Add and I think they might prefer a Solid black layer, to the comp BG. (I've also been up against that when I solo some of my subtle layers I can't see them at all, but they do show up in the whole comp.)

I tried Photo JPEG and it seems to work better, though I was trying a bunch of different things and got confused. I think I also set Straight as opposed to Premultiply, thought seeing as how I'm not outputing an alpha should that even matter?

As to my final deliverable, it's kind of up in the air? H264 or .wmv's seem to be good in terms of being small to email this pretty long video, and still have it look good. In the end though they might do some editing and add audio, in which case maybe they want a less compressed format? Any tips on your preferred output codecs? Like your favorite that is small and looks good, and you favorite to send to a fellow professional who may have to work with it more? (assuming I can call myself that)

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lost in the Darks?
by on Jan 12, 2015 at 8:31:47 pm

If there's any chance they'll do additional editing, you'll want to give them the best image quality possible. H.264's fine for an approval copy, but not for additional editing. Photo JPEG's a good, high-quality file. Not the absolute best, but good.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]