ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

hardware acceleration and viewer rendering speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kendall Shawhardware acceleration and viewer rendering speed
by on Jan 10, 2015 at 9:41:02 pm

I see questions similar to this, but because posting to a thread doesn't cause it to go to the top, few people will see it if I reply to the thread.

The main pain point for me in using after effects is the time it takes to setup a composition: setting properties, watching the result in the viewer then adjusting etc. There are things I don't try because I have to judge whether or not it is worth waiting for the change to render. This is taking into account fast preview and reducing rendering quality.

Help about hardware acceleration appears to all apply to rendering after the setup has been done, which I care less about. Does getting faster GPU or more cuda cores make the exploratory part of editing faster? That is what I care about.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: hardware acceleration and viewer rendering speed
by on Jan 10, 2015 at 10:53:32 pm

No, the GPU is used for almost nothing in After Effects.

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Kendall ShawRe: hardware acceleration and viewer rendering speed
by on Jan 11, 2015 at 1:07:04 am

Ok. So, hardware acceleration of panels means hardware accelerated opengl and not cuda?

Initially I was using premiere and replace with after effects composition, but I kept finding the clip to be blank after closing and reopening after effects and premiere, so I have been doing editing sort of work in AE.

It looks like I should try to do as much as possible in premiere.

Incidentally, I don't have the opengl information panel that I see in your video (the one in after effects). I am using AE CC. I just have a section saying which version of opengl API is being used. Is that information somewhere else, about what is using opengl?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2015 at 3:55:05 am
Last Edited By Kendall Shaw on Jan 11, 2015 at 4:19:51 am

Urff. Well, right now I am heavily using timewarp and the graph editor. It seems pretty difficult to do something similar in premiere. So, exactly the thing that I want hardware acceleration for doesn't appear to be improved much by GPU acceleration.

Hmm. Kronos might be a solution (cuda accelerated timewarp-like thing). I'll check it out

Return to posts index

by on Jan 13, 2015 at 6:12:49 am

Kronos using the GPU seems to apply the speed change effect faster than with the CPU. Purging the image cache each time, 2 seconds of reverse-forward-reverse-forward took 2 minutes to buffer while previewing using the CPU and 30 seconds using GTX 570.

Maybe I need to do more than purge the image cache to test. But, it seems significantly faster using the GPU, for the semi-interactive activity that it is painful right now. I wonder how much faster it can be using a faster GPU.

If the speed up could result in no perceptible delay that would make a huge difference for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]