ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is this an example of compositions dynamically linked?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Honan
Is this an example of compositions dynamically linked?
on Jan 9, 2015 at 11:13:56 am

Hi from 18 mph winds and about to rain York UK :-)

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/zymurgy_bucket/composition-crosslin...

The above link illustrates my question but here goes:

Having downloaded an after effects template It soon became apparent that the compositions were linked to each other. I didn't know you could do this. For example in the template I downloaded there are three composition tabs (think thats what you call them). Ive noticed when I hide a layer (clicking on the eye ball icon for a specific layer) it affects another tab.

So my question is please... "Ids this a case of compositions being dynamically linked within one project? And if wanted how could I switch off / break the link"

Thanks in advance,
David

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Is this an example of compositions dynamically linked?
on Jan 9, 2015 at 11:46:41 am

Dynamic link is the name for a set of technologies for moving the output from one Adobe application (like After Effects) into another (like Premiere) on the fly, without having to save a rendered file to disk.

What you see in that template are nested compositions [link]. With a nested composition (or a precomposition or precomp for short), one comp becomes a source for another comp.

If you want to break the link between a nested comp and a containing comp, you must duplicate the nested comp in the project panel and work with a copy.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jan 9, 2015 at 5:22:12 pm

You may want to duplicate the original nest and option+drag it onto the precomp you want to modify. However, be aware of precomps inside of precomps. Duplicating a precomposition does not automatically duplicate any nests/precomps inside that composition. In this case, the True Comp Duplicator script can come in handy.

Return to posts index

David Honan
on Jan 13, 2015 at 5:43:08 pm

Brill thanks :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]