ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CC 2014 error - Screwed up my layer positions throughout the file and all my Autosave files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dwanye East
After Effects CC 2014 error - Screwed up my layer positions throughout the file and all my Autosave files
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:44:09 am

I've had AE CC 2014 for a while and haven't had any issues other than the memory leak, which I could get a round, but this major glitch and massive headache was just discovered moments ago:

Opening up AE, I see that the positions to all my layers have been moved around my stage.

I thought someone sabotaged my file, but all the Autosave files reflect the chaos. Now I get worried.

My video is a UX demo (walkthrough) for an App being developed. Fixing this mess will probably take me 2 or 3 full days.

Other than the obvious, what can I do about this from happening in the future? Is this a known glitch? If so, how long will Adobe have a fix?

I'm freaking out!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects CC 2014 error - Screwed up my layer positions throughout the file and all my Autosave files
on Jan 9, 2015 at 3:12:55 am

I haven't seen anything like that here, with several users running Ae CC 2014 full-time.

How have the layers moved? Randomly? Together? Can you describe more fully how they are different from before?

Are you maybe looking through a different camera now? Do any other camera views have the correct view? Does changing the viewer resolution change anything?

Does anything change if you clear your disk cache?

Walter's Quick Guide to Saving: Get into the habit of using Increment and Save often. Increase your auto-save count. Consider using Dropbox or Time Machine for backup file versioning.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dwanye East
Re: After Effects CC 2014 error - Screwed up my layer positions throughout the file and all my Autosave files
on Jan 9, 2015 at 3:40:33 am

Hi Walter,
Thanks for responding so quickly.

I would describe it as a scattering of my layers. Looking into each of the effected Comps, the layers would be scattered throughout the stage and even off stage.

I didn't have any cameras on stage.

I often have to clean my disk cache because my company has a small SSD on my MacBook, and I quickly run out of space (sigh!)

This issue effects the related Autosave files I keep. It's so strange.

To better illustrate what's happening, below is a screenshot of both my file as I see it right now and a video I last rendered Sunday (from the same file). I haven't touched the file since last Sunday. And I know no one else would have either. I'm the only video guy there.

The video is the left-side (and what the file should look like). The AE file is on the right.

This is just one example of many in this video file.

My system setup:
2012 MacBook Pro
2.6GHz i7
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB
OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2015 at 3:57:04 am

The autosave defaults of every 20 minutes, with a maximum of 5 versions really don't offer you that much protection -- after just a little over an hour and a half, all your autosaves will be overwritten, so an error that takes you two hours to spot will be unrecoverable.

Are any of these layers' positions based on expressions, either directly or indirectly? If so, are those expressions currently disabled?

Is there any discernable pattern to the offsets?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dwanye East
on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:23:57 am

There are no expressions, plugins or assistance from any 3rd party software that could cause this.
I was all timeline-based animations I controlled.

I have Autosave files dating as far back as October 8. The problem goes back to the December 12 Autosave. Beyond that, the layers are untouched.

My project file was fine until today. I made that video render last Sunday without touching anything, so this perplexes me.

The patterns I notice are the layers being pushed up out of the stage, effecting its keyframes.

One thing to note, the majority of my assets are from imported PSD files > imported as compositions.

Return to posts index

Dwanye East
on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:33:21 am

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!
I had increased the height of one of the PSDs being used inside After Effects, throwing off all the vertical positions of my layers associated with it. I forgot the save as a new PSD, thus causing me to pull out my hair and beg for assistances.

Thank you for trying to help.

Solved

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:33:54 am

[Dwanye East] "One thing to note, the majority of my assets are from imported PSD files > imported as compositions."

Have the underlying PSDs been modified?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:34:31 am

Sorry, missed your post by a few seconds. Glad you got it sorted.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]