ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Projecting a shadow on a 3D cube

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spiridon Mekas
Projecting a shadow on a 3D cube
on Jan 8, 2015 at 2:56:53 pm

Hello,

I have made a 3D building out of 5 planes and now want to have animated loops of a figures walking projected on the walls of the building(like big shadows on a facade).

I want the figures/shadows to wrap around the building as they walk and i'm not sure how to do this, to have them seamlessly connect when they go from one plane to the next.

I tried making it by having precomposed facade planes with shadows already on the walls but that gave me problems matching animation on the turning planes.

How would you go about doing this?

Here is an image from the project, the building is 3D even if it is not to apparent. The walking figures are to be projected on the walls.

I plan to use the shadows on the walls in quite a few different shots so i would appreciate some ideas.

My knowledge of 3D in ae is limited and i'm learning as i go so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Spiridon Mekas
Re: Projecting a shadow on a 3D cube
on Jan 8, 2015 at 3:24:34 pm

just to try to clarify a bit:

I don't want to actually project the shadows on the walls, the posted image is a composite, the figures in front are not in 3D space. What i'm trying is to wrap a video sequence on a three dimensional object. I would later match it with the figures in the final comp.

Sorry if my explanation is unclear.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 8, 2015 at 4:47:15 pm

You would want to create 3D layer(s) that are to cast the shadows between the light and the 3D planes. Obviously you'll need to tweak the scale of the shadow-casting layers and the softness of the shadows to get the desired effect.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jan 8, 2015 at 4:48:29 pm

So you have a pre comp of 1 building replicated 4 times right? Why not throw the man into this comp and then offset the timing of the building so it looks like he is running around it seamlessly.

Return to posts index

Spiridon Mekas
on Jan 8, 2015 at 4:58:24 pm

Thank you both Dave and Richard, actually, i've been playing around since i posted and i'll probably end up using both of the techniques you suggested.

Thank you for replying!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]