ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animate logo as a flag

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis PiilgardAnimate logo as a flag
by on Jan 8, 2015 at 2:56:24 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to animate a logo as a flag, but since I only have AE and no plugins or a full 3D software, I'm not able to get the simulation as I want.

What I'm looking for is this:

But I can only get it to work with less, but frequent, wind.

Is there a way to tweak the settings in AE or do I NEED another tool?

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Animate logo as a flag
by on Jan 8, 2015 at 3:41:57 pm

This is actually a relatively simple technique. Here is what I would do. Go to YouTube and find some stock footage of a flag waving, solid color would work the best. Download the video using then import the video to your project. If your logo is multiple layers precompse it, then drop the flag footage in. Go to your effects panel and search displacement map. Add that to your precomposed layer. For the reference layer choose your footage, make sure the footage is set to stretch to fit instead of center. Then use the color options at the top if the effect to decide what aspect of the footage would affect the logo layer, then adjust the numbered displacement values for a severe or mild effect. Lastly, turn off the footage layer and there you go. Same technique can be used for a glitch effect.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animate logo as a flag
by on Jan 14, 2015 at 5:07:43 pm

There's a tutorial right here on the COW for flag-making!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dennis PiilgardRe: Animate logo as a flag
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 10:01:36 am

Thank you both!

I found a technique which helped, but now I got rendering problems. If you have ideas on how to fix this, I hope you will check it out here:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved