ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Glitch Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob JenningsGlitch Effect
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 8:45:35 pm

Just saw this video from David Bowie. The entire video is an amazing graphics display but I would love to know how they created the glitch effects starting around 6:00

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Glitch Effect
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 9:52:24 pm

I'd look for techniques used in video moshing. I haven't done it, just saw references to it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dieter WaylandRe: Glitch Effect
by on Jan 8, 2015 at 11:08:33 am

saw this here with photoshop, maybe you can do it same way in ae in case of image sequences. (step 5).

Return to posts index

Graham MacfarlaneRe: Glitch Effect
by on Jan 8, 2015 at 4:27:12 pm

Hi Rob,

Seems to me that there are a few different things going on here. Stretching, offsetting, and general noisy blocks of pixels.

I would look into using Video Copilot’s Twitch and possibly use it to drive the timing of a variety of displacement and directional blur effects on an adjustment layer(s).
The displacement effect can be displaced by precomped subtle fractal noises (perhaps set to subscale, block, with low contrast)
The adjustment layer can be masked either by hand or with a combination of keyed footage layers to get some quick and interesting alphas.

I’m sure if you played around with these elements you could drum up something similar.

Graham Macfarlane - 3D visualisation and VFX
3D Studio Max | Vray | Pflow | PhoenixFD | After effects | Mocha - London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved