ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layer styles as effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Gruwier
Layer styles as effects?
on Jan 7, 2015 at 8:50:35 am

I find myself frustrated that I can't do things like inner shadow, stroke and glow, and use them in the effects stacks and save them along with presets. The layer styles built into AE tend to break down in 3D space, and they're hard to modify with other plugins without using lots of precomps.
Has anybody made them as traditional plugin effects?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Layer styles as effects?
on Jan 7, 2015 at 7:01:04 pm

I agree it is annoying that you cannot decide how they stack with other effects. Thats why i dont use them anymore. But the bevel is much better than their counterpart effects.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 7, 2015 at 8:24:26 pm

They are not effects because they can't be. Layer styles don't just use a layer as an input; they use an entire composition as one of their inputs. In this way, they are like blending modes, and they must be in the same place as blending modes in the render order.

There are some simple layer styles that have close cousins that are effects, such as Drop Shadow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jan 8, 2015 at 1:06:08 am

The bevel effect seriously needs an update.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]