ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Set In Point in Source Footage, Option-click replace Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tag SimlerSet In Point in Source Footage, Option-click replace Layer
by on Jan 6, 2015 at 11:16:28 pm

I'm working in AE CC 2014 and have a question I'm assuming has a simple answer. I have a wall of 40+ video screens that are already sized perfectly. I also have a 15 minute piece of footage that I'm going to use as the source for all of those screens, but at different points (right now they're all at the beginning).

I'm having trouble setting an in point in my source footage and replacing the pieces of video in my timeline. When I set an in point in my source footage, I can add that clip to my timeline just fine, but what I want to do is replace the layers since they're already sized. When I hold option (I'm on a Mac), it doesn't bring my clip over.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Set In Point in Source Footage, Option-click replace Layer
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 9:57:24 pm

In the timeline, highlight the layer you want to replace. In the project window, highlight the clip that will replace it. Then Option-drag (Alt-drag Win) it to the highlighted clip in the timeline.

You may have to tweak in & out points to get what you want, but all the modified properties of the layer are retained.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tag SimlerRe: Set In Point in Source Footage, Option-click replace Layer
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:22:41 pm

Hi Dave. Thanks so much for responding. That's the trouble I'm having. I'm aware of the option drag method, but it's not bringing over the clip where my in point is set. It's bringing in the clip at its start.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Set In Point in Source Footage, Option-click replace Layer
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:30:19 pm

Try this: double-click on the replacement clip in the project window. It opens in its own viewer. Set an in point. Then try option-dragging it into the timeline and see if it makes a difference.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tag SimlerRe: Set In Point in Source Footage, Option-click replace Layer
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:39:58 pm
Last Edited By Tag Simler on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:42:50 pm

Thanks, Dave. This is the method I've been using and it isn't working. It's sort of baffling me.

EDIT: At the moment, my fix has been to copy the clip with the in point over on top of the layer I want to replace, and copy the TRANSFORM characteristics. It's not quite ideal, but it's working. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]