ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE project reverted to a previous version | Work lost

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Razvan DimitriuAE project reverted to a previous version | Work lost
by on Jan 5, 2015 at 8:24:01 pm

Working on Windows 7, AE CS6.

I started this project around the 20th of December. Today I made some revisions on it and rendered them, everything normal.

Then I opened up an older project. After that, I got back to the current project and saw a lot of stuff missing (both comps and assets). I don't remember saving the project in this state (although I'm not 100% sure).
Then I went to the location of the project file - here I found the project file (last modified just a few minutes before) and the auto-save folder, which has the last version dating from the 23rd of December.
Everything else in the folder (all the assets and render files for the project) are there, so the only thing that seemed to change is the AEP file and the auto-saves missing.

The only thing I could think of was that maybe I accidentally saved the project in another location (maybe with another name) so I searched my computer for all AEP files and went through those - nothing.

It's very hard to accept that all of a sudden a few days of work were lost, so I'm praying that someone will show me what a fool I am :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE project reverted to a previous version | Work lost
by on Jan 5, 2015 at 8:32:03 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 5, 2015 at 8:33:43 pm

It's proabably a different file path. It can happen if you opened up another project previously and saved it to that other project's proper location.

AE doesn't necessarily remember a project file path forever, depending on how you saved it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Razvan DimitriuRe: AE project reverted to a previous version | Work lost
by on Jan 5, 2015 at 8:36:07 pm

That's what I was thinking at first, but it's not there. And as I said, I did a search for *.aep on my harddrives and looked at everything modified in the last two weeks and nothing.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 5, 2015 at 8:55:41 pm

Or if that could be the case, is there any log file or an extended version of the Recent Projects list?

Colorist, Online Editor
http://retinastudio.ro/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE project reverted to a previous version | Work lost
by on Jan 5, 2015 at 9:02:22 pm

You MIGHT be able to increase how many recent projects are displayed in AE Preferences. Haven't actually tried it myself, but it's worth a look.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE project reverted to a previous version | Work lost
by on Jan 5, 2015 at 9:01:14 pm

[Razvan Dimitriu] "Today I made some revisions on it and rendered them, everything normal."

By default, Ae writes the path and filename of the original AEP into the XMP metadata for your rendered output (on supported output formats).

Import your render into Premiere, then right-click it and choose "Edit Original." It should open the AEP file which rendered it out. If your changes aren't there, you probably didn't save.

My general save advice: get in the habit of using Increment and Save often (instead of regular save) to minimize the chance of losing work. If you increment every major change you make, you'll only lose a couple hours of work tops. Also, consider keeping your project files synced with Dropbox, which can do its own automatic versioning.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Jan 5, 2015 at 9:12:38 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow when I get back to the office.

Colorist, Online Editor

Return to posts index

by on Jan 6, 2015 at 8:57:33 am

You guys were both right. It was saved in another location. The Premiere trick did it. That's a nice one, Walter!
Note to self: don't do troubleshooting when tired. Leave it to the next morning.
Thanks a lot and sorry for the false alarm!

Colorist, Online Editor

Return to posts index

Tracy KazanjyRe: AE project reverted to a previous version | Work lost
by on Feb 15, 2016 at 9:38:42 pm

You just saved me! I somehow lost my AEP files after rending them. It's a simple school project, but we needed to have the rendered files and the AEP files, and all I had left were the rendered files. I don't know how or why they disappeared (I save early and often to the Dropbox folder on my desktop), but I followed your instructions to import the rendered files to Premiere and "Edit Original", and was able to retrieve the missing files.

Thank you, thank you!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]