ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Command assigned to left/right arrow in timeline panel?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kendall Shaw
Command assigned to left/right arrow in timeline panel?
on Jan 3, 2015 at 12:54:17 am

I haven't yet tried every combination, but can someone tell me which entries in the keyboard shortcuts file I can change to prevent left and right arrow keys from moving pixels?

I frequently press the arrow key, notice that I moved the image and then try to guess how many times I moved the image so that I can undo it.... I wonder how many times I have done that and not noticed that I did it.

Return to posts index

Kendall Shaw
Re: Command assigned to left/right arrow in timeline panel?
on Jan 3, 2015 at 2:35:11 am
Last Edited By Kendall Shaw on Jan 3, 2015 at 3:11:17 am

The option appears to be "NudgeLeft" etc. in the CCompCompCmd section. I did this to disable the shortcuts:

"NudgeLeft" = "()"
"NudgeLeftMore" = "()"
"NudgeRight" = "()"
"NudgeRightMore" = "()"
"NudgeUp" = "()"
"NudgeUpMore" = "()"
"NudgeDown" = "()"
"NudgeDownMore" = "()"

The file is in the preferences area. Edit->Preferences->General->Reveal preferences in explorer (on windoze maybe it says finder on the mac, but it's so intuitive that you already know).

Named like Adobe After Effects 13.2 Win eo_US Shortcuts

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 5, 2015 at 7:23:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 5, 2015 at 11:42:30 pm

I'm trying to figure out why on God's Green Earth you would even WANT to disable the cursor arrow keys -- they're just about the handiest keys on the keyboard! Once you develop the muscle memory to know when to use them, that is. It doesn't take all that long, especially when you get sick & tired of hitting them erroneously.

You'd better have one darned good reason for farting with that particular keyboard shortcut... and I don't think the response, "Because I don't like it" is sufficient. I think you'd live to regret it.

Besides, to be consistent you'd also have to disable the cursor-up/down keys, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kendall Shaw
on Jan 7, 2015 at 5:40:12 am
Last Edited By Kendall Shaw on Jan 7, 2015 at 5:42:31 am

Page up/down move forward and backward along the timeline. In other applications left and right arrow move forward and backward. In AE left and right arrow keys skew the image left and right by one pixel.

So, every time I use photoshop or premiere or virtualdub for example, then come back to AE, I almost always press the arrow key, notice the timeline didn't move and then try to figure out how many pixels the image was skewed by in order to undo it.

Actually, maybe it means that I have been using the timeline in some atypical mode or something. You are not used to left/right arrow moving the video image left/right by 1 pixel?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2015 at 4:51:10 pm

I do it all the time. I'd be lost without the arrow keys moving a layer by one pixel. Shift-arrow moves it 10 pixels. It's extremely handy.

Frankly, I wouldn't go modifying the keyboard shortcuts until I had more AE experience under my belt.

And sure, I use the arrow key in NLE's where left-right arrows move the timeline cursor backward & forward one frame. It's not that big a deal to compartmentalize an application's keyboard shortcuts in your mind after you've worked with it for a while.

You just have to remember that After Effects DOES NOT work like a lot of other media creation tools. You have to get used to working with it or you encounter frustration.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kendall Shaw
on Jan 7, 2015 at 11:52:08 pm

Using computers as a measure of caution is a good idea when the cost is low to do so, even if it does not appear to make anything much easier in individual cases. So, something like arrow keys potentially introducing errors in your video that you don't notice could be something worth taking precautions to avoid.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2015 at 11:59:42 pm

I appreciate your sentiment, but I don't agree with it in any way, shape or form. I think you're trying to swim upstream in a very fast river.

I think that in the long run it's a whole lot easier to simply get used to the way the application works, and take your user-error lumps for a short period of time.

If you do what you propose, you can certainly undo it at some point in time, but then you'd have to also have to unlearn the bad habits you picked up prior to that.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kendall Shaw
on Jan 8, 2015 at 2:11:47 am

If I start wanting to move the image it could be that I would want to have the arrow key shortcuts for that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 8, 2015 at 4:53:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 8, 2015 at 6:13:26 pm

Somehow it seems like it would just be much, much easier to learn NOT to use the arrow cursor keys unless you want to move a selected layer. How tough is that? I just summed it up in a very wordy sentence.

Here's a simplified version:
Don't use the arrow cursor keys unless you want to move a layer.

If you're still bound and determined to fart around with disabling keyboard shortcuts rather than memorizing a simple rule, knock yourself out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]