ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

circle animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Adamcircle animation
by on Jan 1, 2015 at 5:59:06 am

Hello,

I'm working on some logo's one of which is a circle and wanting to animate it in, like shown in this example below (blue logo). I know there might be some masking going, but I'm not sure how to execute it, any idea? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: circle animation
by on Jan 1, 2015 at 2:42:22 pm

Brandon, the trick is to have the logo elements in separate layers so that they can be independently animated.

The center fill element can be revealed with a feathered animated mask as you suggest. The outer stroke element can be revealed pretty easily with a Radial Wipe effect.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Brandon AdamRe: circle animation
by on Jan 1, 2015 at 10:18:07 pm

Thanks Walter for the reply. I seem to be having some trouble using the mask path. See, the logo already has a mask over it to eliminated unwanted areas. I can't seem to animate the path, so its animating perfectly around the circle (from the bottom to the top, like in the example), things just get a-bit complicated from here, trying to adjust the mask manually etc, (my knowledge is very limited towards masking as you can tell).

The most simple option, was adjusting the mask expansion, however the animation only seems to work from the centre.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: circle animation
by on Jan 2, 2015 at 12:03:33 pm

[Brandon Adam] "I seem to be having some trouble using the mask path. See, the logo already has a mask over it to eliminated unwanted areas. I can't seem to animate the path, so its animating perfectly around the circle (from the bottom to the top, like in the example), things just get a-bit complicated from here, trying to adjust the mask manually etc, (my knowledge is very limited towards masking as you can tell). "

Really, split it into separate layers.

If you have the original art file with layers, work with those. If you do not, duplicate the layer several times and use the mask tool to isolate a separate portion of the layer on each layer -- essentially making the fill on one layer, the stroke on another, etc.

Then you will be able to use the effects I mentioned above instead of trying to do the reveal as an animated mask.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]