ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wrong clip duration when interpreting footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommaso Aschieri
Wrong clip duration when interpreting footage
on Dec 29, 2014 at 5:08:07 pm

Hi,
I've been working with After Effects for some time now, and I've lately started experiencing the "overflow converting ratio denominators 17:18" error. After some researches, I found out that in order to prevent it from happening again I needed to change the framerate of my footage to a round integer. I had a lot of clips I had shot with NVIDIA ShadowPlay (the recording tool integrated in the NVIDIA software) at 60fps that were, in fact, displayed as 59,8xx or so. The problem now is: after changing the framerate to 60fps (and the comp is 60fps too), I see that a few videos are shorter than before.
I unfortunately need the very last moments of those, and I can't shoot them again, so I ask for help. The duration of one of the clips drops down from 10:02:58 to 9:06:07, cutting out an entire minute, when I change from 59,881 to 60 fps.
The video is a 1440x900 mp4, and is played well outside after effects.
Am I making any obvious mistake? I really don't know what to do...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Wrong clip duration when interpreting footage
on Dec 30, 2014 at 2:40:18 am

[Tommaso Aschieri] "I unfortunately need the very last moments of those, and I can't shoot them again, so I ask for help. The duration of one of the clips drops down from 10:02:58 to 9:06:07, cutting out an entire minute, when I change from 59,881 to 60 fps."

Something fishy is going on. 9:06:07 at 60 frames per second is 32,767 frames -- which just happens to be the biggest signed integer a computer can represent with two bytes.

[Tommaso Aschieri] "The video is a 1440x900 mp4, and is played well outside after effects."

Do you have any codec packs or third-party MP4 handlers installed? Does transcoding to something other than MP4 and importing that into Ae help?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tommaso Aschieri
on Dec 30, 2014 at 9:14:22 am

[Walter Soyka] "Does transcoding to something other than MP4 and importing that into Ae help?"

Well, I haven't tried yet, but I didn't know what programs to use that could handle 60fps...

[Walter Soyka] "Do you have any codec packs or third-party MP4 handlers installed?"

I guess you mean other third party programs to convert/modify mp4 files, right? Well, no. I've tried installing FormatFactory, but it didn't work and was uninstalled. I also didn't install codec packs.
The only program that I keep installed is VLC Media Player, but I imagine it can't be the reason...

Return to posts index

Vio Nonelite
on Feb 9, 2016 at 11:40:36 pm

I've been having this exact same problem!!!!

1. It's video I recorded from Nvidia Shadowplay
2. I get the ERROR - overflow converting ratio denominators 17::18
3. When I interpret the video to a flat number, example 60fps
4. My video drops to that EXACT same length 9;06;07
5. I lose anything beyond that point/length and the video just ends there.

My only solution I found so far is bringing it into AME and converting it from start to finish. And then importing the new copy into AE which works fine after that. BUT! It is a big hassle, because it take so long for my 20-40 minute videos to reconvert and then convert once again! And while im reconverting the stubborn video, my AME is all tied up and I have to wait for it to finish. So my workflow comes to a complete halt until the crappy version is reconverted. And adding that on top my already long workflow.

Please if you find a solution let me know! If I find one I will post back

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]