ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Visually compare shots side-by-side in AE CC 2014?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Zvyk
Visually compare shots side-by-side in AE CC 2014?
on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:15:40 am

This can be (relatively) easily done if shots are in different comps.

But say you have a single comp.

You have a sequence of shots on different layers.

You need to see some of them side-by-side, simultaneously. (For example, for color grading purpose.)

How do you do that?

(At the very least, I'd probably settle for seeing Snapshots side-by-side somewhere - is this possible?)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Visually compare shots side-by-side in AE CC 2014?
on Dec 26, 2014 at 4:35:02 pm

Sure: there's a snapshot tool button at the bottom of the comp window. Right next to it you'll see a silhouette of a person that you use to diplay the snapshot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Zvyk
on Dec 26, 2014 at 5:42:50 pm

Yes, that snapshot only displays one of the maximum of 4 snapshots at a time.

I need to see all of the clip thumbnails simultaneously side-by-side, as I'm working on grading of a number of shots.

Wouldn't hurt if the thumbs were also not static but updating in real-time if the change is made to the particular clip...

Apparently Resolve 11 has something similar now, but I'd rather stay with After Effects. Also Stu Maschwitz's DV Rebel Tools has layer thumbnails script, but my timeline is already too stacked up to use it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:07:33 pm

Are you currently color CORRECTING -- i.e. getting all the clips' colors & exposures correct -- or color GRADING -- i.e. applying a certain color look to clips?

Typically, it's a two-step process. First the correction, which can be time-consuming, and then the grading, which goes pretty quickly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Alex Zvyk
on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:47:12 pm

Dave - not sure you read my original post. With due respect, the answer is there.

And either way - what is the proposed solution to having a number of clips displayed simultaneously side by side?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 26, 2014 at 7:10:22 pm

Sorry, but I only see the term "grading" above, which can mean different things to different people. And sadly, I don't know of any other ways to accomplish your goal of side-by-side thumbnails other than the ones you've already mentioned.

And I'm just guessing at this, but AE is lot better at compositing and motion graphics than Resolve, which may explain your preference to remain in AE.

Have you investigated using Color Finess within AE? No side-by-side views, but it might be more efficient for your workflow. For example, it would beat correcting in Resolve, compositing in AE, and final grade in Resolve.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 27, 2014 at 12:19:15 am

This doesn't really help you now, but I can tell you that the performance and previewing features that we're working on for 2015 should allow the workflow that you're trying for.

For now, the best thing to do is to create a precomposition with your various shots nested in it, and preview that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Alex Zvyk
on Dec 27, 2014 at 1:43:18 am

Thanks Todd. Honored that you replied personally. I'm a long tome AE user, have upgraded many times, and now just graduated to CC (love it). OK will wait for CC 2015.

Two questions then:

1. CC 2015 migration: All my scripts and plug-ins installed in the particular CC 2014 folder - how will they migrate to CC 2015? (I hope not via re-install of each individual one...)

2. CC 2014 RAM Previews: On my old AE CS5 (same exact PC system), once I hit the RAM preview button, I could see the things moving (green dots over the footage) almost immediately.

In the new CC 2014 however, RAM Preview takes its sweet time before even the first dot starts moving (but after that, it processes with reasonable speed.)

This is especially true with previewing the comps. I do understand it takes time to drill down, but why was CS5 faster?

Since I think I have exact same settings in CS5 vs CC 2014, it is strange to experience such long delay.

In all other aspects, CC 2014 seems actually livelier than CS5, but not with RAM Previews. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 29, 2014 at 3:29:58 pm

> 1. CC 2015 migration: All my scripts and plug-ins installed in the particular CC 2014 folder - how will they migrate to CC 2015? (I hope not via re-install of each individual one...)

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/plug-ins-settings-after-effects...

> 2. CC 2014 RAM Previews: On my old AE CS5 (same exact PC system), once I hit the RAM preview button, I could see the things moving (green dots over the footage) almost immediately.

There's not enough information there to make a diagnosis. I recommend starting a new thread with that question, giving as much detail as possible.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Alex Zvyk
on Dec 29, 2014 at 5:57:26 pm

>> I recommend starting a new thread

Thanks Todd, done - CC 2014 RAM Preview Delay thread:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1058408

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]