ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D car leaving skid marks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Belinkie3D car leaving skid marks
by on Dec 24, 2014 at 5:03:57 am

Hi guys. Now that Element 3D v2 is out I want to take another shot at rigging up a realistic 3D car. One thing that's always stumped me is how to get the tires to leaves skid marks as the car screeches around the turns. Here's an extreme example of what I'm looking for:

In Cinema 4D you could stick a tracer on each tire with a tread texture, and manually turn the tracers on and off. The question is, how could it be done in After Effects? My best idea is to use a Particular emitter on each tire. I might be able to generate a solid black rectangle that way. I might even be able to use a sprite to give it some texture. Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 3D car leaving skid marks
by on Dec 25, 2014 at 12:33:22 am

particular would be the way i'd try it.

you'd probably want to use a layer as an emitter (one for each wheel) and parent the position of the layer to the wheels (rather than true parenting, you may need to use expressions). that way you can use a tread-like texture as the layer to emit a tread like pattern, and you can keep the emitter parallel to the ground.

you may even be able to rig the birthrate or particle opacity to the speed of the wheel rotation to have the skid marks turn on and off by themselves. it might be a little tricky, but it would be fun to try.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved