ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Render issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gina SarentinoRender issues
by on Dec 23, 2014 at 11:18:21 pm

Hey all,

I have a project which im working on, its a DSLR footage with some 3D work. Now when i need to render i send it to AME and set my fps to 24, (the footage is 23.976). After my render is done I keep noticing that its not a 12 sec video but 11 secs. So i did a series of tests, i took the render to both Ae and Pr to check its fps. In Ae it shows as 23.999 and the video in the timecode when i forward throgh ends at 23 frames.

Now when i take the render to Pr and i check the frame rate it shows as 24 fps, when i scrub through the video however the frames end at 29 in the timecode.

So I dont understand why it is doing this, but I tried something furthur to see if there is a difference. I rendered the same project out of Ae as 23.976 (basically i didnt change any of the fps settings in AME). Now when I brought that new rendered file into Ae and Pr both show it as 23.976fps and both display accurate timecodes, in Pr the frame in the timecode ends at 23. And the duration of the video is accurate.

Now my question is, why is setting the fps in AME to 24 causing me an issue with suration and in Pr.

Any insight into this issue would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Render issues
by on Dec 24, 2014 at 12:22:47 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 24, 2014 at 12:25:24 am

Well, it's probably because for most people, 24fps isn't a real frame rate. No fooling.

Almost EVERY video video camera -- DSLR's included -- shoots 23.976 frames/sec instead of the film frame rate of 24. It's the nature of video, and you don't want to mess with frame rates unless you know what you're doing. You can mess up the smoothness of the motion, the audio... any number of things.

Now, there ARE video cameras that shoot true 24fps:
  • Really, really old Canon 5D Mk II's
  • Cameras with five-figure price tags

Few people have such cameras. And almost everybody gets along with 23.976 after a fashion.

Stick with 23.976, and life gets easier.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gina SarentinoRe: nder issues
by on Dec 24, 2014 at 12:47:39 am

Hey thanks for the reply. I have worked wih ae and almost always render out my 23.976 as 24 on ae and alot of the times nothing seems to go wrong. Im very confused as to why it is happening now. I also usually render out my 23.976 fps footages from Pr as 24fps and nothing goes wrong.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: nder issues
by on Dec 25, 2014 at 6:45:17 pm

I'm glad you haven't had any big problems, but I would favor eliminating all possibility of error by working at 23.976 throughout the project.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gina SarentinoRe: nder issues
by on Dec 25, 2014 at 6:57:13 pm

Thanks alot for the insight Dave. Im gonna stay safe and work within my 23.976 as you suggested.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved