ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

C4D & AE - Scene Data Extract issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PJ Palomaki
C4D & AE - Scene Data Extract issues
on Dec 19, 2014 at 1:47:42 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a C4D animation and I don't usually tend to use the scene data from C4D but this time I thought I might use AE for some additional text, rather than having them in 3D. As a tester, midway through the animation, I added a new null in C4D in the position I'd like the text to be, added external composition tag to the null and after saving, extracted the scene data in AE. The data seemed to export fine (lights, cam, etc.) but the positions are waaay off, including lights.

I've tried fiddling with the orientation of the null but it's not even near the original position or rotation. I've included screenshots from C4D & AE.

Any ideas as to why this is and how to fix it?

Thanks,
PJ

--------------------------------------------------

Freelance Cinematographer, Camera Op, Video Editor and Motion Graphics Designer

http://www.pjpalomaki.com

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: C4D & AE - Scene Data Extract issues
on Dec 19, 2014 at 3:28:26 pm

What exact version of AE down to the last decimal?
Same question for C4D if you're using the standalone version.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

PJ Palomaki
on Dec 19, 2014 at 3:43:26 pm

AE 2014.1.1 & C4D Broadcast R16.029. Just updating AE to 2014.2 to see if that helps.

Return to posts index

PJ Palomaki
on Dec 19, 2014 at 4:19:59 pm

Right, I've either found a separate issue or very much likely the issue causing this scene data mismatch.

At one point while working in C4D I changed the project frame rate and render frame rate to 12fps as I thought I might do the whole animation in stop motion style. I then went back on that, deciding that I would animate the characters in stop motion style while keeping cameras and the rest of the project in 24fps.

Now if I load that .c4d file into AE, the inspector shows the frame rate as 12fps, even though I've changed both project and render settings back to 24fps long time ago. I thought reloading the C4D project in AE (reload footage) would work, but no. I thought that it might cache the 12fps setting from when it first was loaded so I duplicated the file in Finder and the duplicated project opens as 12fps too. Also for some reason the start timecode for the project is 00120.

I've tried interpreting the footage to 24fps, but that clearly causes some weird issues with extracting scene data - I only get first 10 or so frames of about 150 frame project, with keyframes missing..

I think my project might've corrupted somewhere along the line, will have to copy everything to a new project and see if it works...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 19, 2014 at 6:44:34 pm

That would explain it! There are several places in C4D where you can set frame rates too, don't forget.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

PJ Palomaki
on Dec 20, 2014 at 11:12:27 am

Apart from the project settings & render settings (which I wonder if it even has an impact in AE), are there other ways to set the frame rate?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]