ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lay out after effects is to big, seems not right ... How to fix ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Krista van der Wilk
Lay out after effects is to big, seems not right ... How to fix ?
on Dec 18, 2014 at 12:14:32 pm

Hello !

Since I installed CC some things seem odd in the layout of after effects.

Also Illustrator and Indesign where not ok, but with some searching I found out I needed to change some things in the scale UI settings of my computer.

But After effects is still off, text is to big / even seems unsharp. Also the starting screen is to biggish. I added a illustrator screenshot for comparison, how it should be.

Anyone have an idea to fix it ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Lay out after effects is to big, seems not right ... How to fix ?
on Dec 18, 2014 at 6:08:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 18, 2014 at 7:59:52 pm

I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. The AE screen shot looks just fine to me. Everything's there that should be there. It's not bleeding off the screen. I don't see any aliasing.

Okay, there's that matter of the overall too-dark look and that annoying cyan text, but that's my personal taste and not an issue of being too big.

And while I'm on the subject of the too-dark look, can anyone tell me the dominant background color on this very forum and others?

Would it be WHITE? A little very light grey, too?

And are there other colors upon this white and light grey background, such as shades of darker grey, black, shades of blue and shades of red? Plus other colors I've forgotten about?

And does anyone have any problem SEEING things in these other colors? Raise your hands if you do. Hmmm, I don't see any hands.

So why does Adobe feel like it has to re-invent the stinkin' wheel every so often when it redesigns the colors on the flippin' user interface? Do they have art directors sitting on their hands with an unstoppable urge to meddle or something? Somebody ought to give them something more worthwhile to do. Panhandling immediately comes to mind.

It just bugs the heck out of me. Especially when Adobe employees' efforts could be put toward something actually useful, like making the application work better. Not agonizing over the UI backgrounds.

AE was just fine when the UI interface background colors were very light. They got it right the first time, and they seem to be in denial that they got it right the first time. I see no reason whatsoever to go farting around with it just for the sake of farting around.

Stepping off my soapbox,
Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Krista van der Wilk
on Dec 18, 2014 at 10:54:41 pm

Hi ! Thanks for your response. I can imagine its hard to see through a screenshot from my computer. Because everything fits, but CC is taking way more space , bigger font, more space around text and panels ...

So i tried this to make myself more clear.
I installed cs6 again to show the difference, hope you see what I mean, because something is off and it is very anoying to work like this ...

Left is CS6 and right CC

A big difference in the scale of starting screen ( the rest of CC is just fine and small like I had in CS6, except now in AE )

In CC i can see less layers, so the lay out is taking up more space.

In CC Biggers panels, biggers font, less effects to show - so more scrolling

So, anyone know where to look for ?
In all the other CC software the fonts are good, it all looks like CS6 but in AE it looks like there is some issue in internal scaling or resolution problem ...

( i didnt have time to worry about the color yet because this is more anoying for me ... :) when this is fixed i will maybe start to fall over the new colors !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:02:11 pm

Oh. Well, I'm afraid you'll have to live with it. That's the look of the new version of AE. You can't change it. Sorry.

About the only thing you can do is file a Feature Request with Adobe:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

And good luck.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Krista van der Wilk
on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:06:52 pm

Haha really ??!!

But why only in After effects change this and keep it all good in all the other software ?

thats just ... well ... crap

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:11:06 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:20:46 pm

I feel your pain.

Remember, I'm the guy who wants white and light grey backgrounds for the user interface. I haven't been happy about it for years!

I like nice, bright colors. They show up well on white. So do pastels and greys. You have more options with white.

But do they listen to me? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 19, 2014 at 11:09:24 am

Ae CC 2014.1 adds support for scaling on hi-DPI displays. This makes the UI usable on systems like the Surface that pack super high-res displays onto a small screen.

Hit the Windows key and type "make text and other items larger or smaller" then open the control panel returned as a search result. If you have the scale set for anything larger than 100%, it will trigger the scaling feature you are seeing.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 19, 2014 at 5:17:30 am

This is pretty hilarious. Dudes were FUMING about the new UI changes to the point that they had to roll out a quick patch only for other people to start raging about making the UI more legible.

Return to posts index

Krista van der Wilk
on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:22:56 pm
Last Edited By Krista van der Wilk on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:24:23 pm

But i just dont get it, why only in AE change the scaling/resolution/size...
So you are sure this scaling thing is the same as in your AE ?

I just remembered.... the first CC version i had installed , was a year ago and first i used the trial version, and here it was all just fine .
( not the color problem, but the scaling and so on )

so.. is it possible to go back to previous versions ? im going on a quest again :) ....

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:56:20 pm

Yes, those are indeed the changes to the latest version of AE. But there is no rule stating that you have to use it.

If you rent the Creative Cloud, you have access to the previous version of AE, and you can use it. In fact, your screen shots reveal that you already have it installed. You can use it.

Now, this is conjecture -- you could edit in Premiere Pro CC 2014, use Dynamic Link to make an AE CC 2014 poject, then backsave to AE CC 2012 if you wish. When done, I'm pretty sure you can open the project in AE CC 2014, save it, then import it into the original AE CC 2014 project, and still maintain the Dynamidc link.

That's a lot of extra work just to avoid a look you don't like, however.

I may use AE CC 2014 at work, but I still have AE CS 5.5 at home, and I'm very happy with it. I don't need all the fancy new features of the later versions. Few people do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Dec 19, 2014 at 1:29:07 am

You can still re arrange everything. make your own workshop. It actually helps.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Dec 19, 2014 at 2:33:44 am

I concur with those who think that the GUI in this version of After Effects is a mis-step.

A while ago, Todd Kopriva mentioned something in a post here suggesting that there would be some degree of UI customization in an upcoming release. I only hope it will provide a path to restore the UI to something more useable.

Return to posts index

Krista van der Wilk
on Dec 20, 2014 at 12:33:49 pm

In this forum I found out that illustrator now has an option to change the UI because it was messed up too.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1500162
Let's hope AE will follow...

Return to posts index

Krista van der Wilk
on Dec 22, 2014 at 3:07:50 pm
Last Edited By Krista van der Wilk on Dec 22, 2014 at 3:26:00 pm

Do you by any chance remember where that post is by the way ?

Update : FOUND IT ! thanks anyway ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]