ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keying advise

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frans SuijsKeying advise
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 9:04:38 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to key out a dog, but having much problems in keeping the hair detail. I've attached a still. Can anyone give me advise on how to deal with this shot?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Keying advise
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 3:31:46 pm

Use Keylight. It comes with After effects. For screen color choose the white background (as you are probably aware). Use the alpha bias and select the dog's fur. Then go to view and select "Combined Matte." It will change to a white/black/grayscale. Next go to screen matte, and play with the clip black and clip white, and the despot black/white options. If you are still not happy with the key, go to the screen color, click on the swatch to open the color menu, and then vary slowly drag the color lighter or darker to see if that helps get rid of the remaining issues.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying advise
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 6:55:52 pm

First, shoot the photographer for thinking this would be an acceptable shot. You're now in charge of damage control.

Second, if Derek's Keylight suggestion doesn't work well, you may have to use Rotobrush. If you have no experience with it, you'll need to read instructions and run the many tutorials on it. It is not at all intuitive to use.

Third, I'd be tempted to sidestep isolating the dog from the shot. I'd rather try matching the background to eliminate the offending junk in the shot.

And if all else fails, just put a mask around Fido and put the shot over an altogether different background.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Frans SuijsRe: Keying advise
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 9:00:20 pm

Thanks Derek & Dave, I'll give both Keylight and rotobrush a shot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved