ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

DNG's from MLV's with Ae Pr and Resolve

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George GoodmanDNG's from MLV's with Ae Pr and Resolve
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 12:14:02 am

I love the quality images I can get with magic lantern on my 5D Mark ii. At the moment, my work flow is to rip DNG sequences out of MLV's, create proxies, cut in premier until I have a picture lock, grade in lightroom (big fan of VSCO), save the metadata of the DNG's, create an after effects composition from my premier timeline, import the DNG's and replace the appropriate proxies. A little bit manual, but not a problem for me given the quality of the final product. (I know premier is working on implementing DNG's, but right now they only work from Black magic cameras).

However, I've decided to stop grading in Lightroom for 2 main reasons.

1) I'm not able to reliably take control of the blacks, shadows, contrast, highlights and whites sliders in lightroom as it sometimes induces a flicker based on how black and white points may change between each frame.
2) I love resolve - there are a lot of reasons for this, but they're outside the scope of this discussion. And no, I don't want to use Speed grade or Color Finesse.

So having premier and resolve round tripping is no problem. But if I want to do any compositing or general after effects work, I have no way to retain the flexibility of the DNG. At best, I can render out to a lossless codec. In an ideal situation, my color grade will be the last thing I do, and everything will remain in raw until then.

So I'm wondering if there will ever be a situation where I'll be able to do some form of compositing or effect work in AE but still be able to keep the footage as a DNG sequence. Is this just never going to be possible because of the way that the effects work inside AE?

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: DNG's from MLV's with Ae Pr and Resolve
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 4:05:45 pm

DNG is a raw format, which contains sensor data that has not yet been interpreted into an image. Raw adjustments are tweaks to the rules for how the sensor data is interpreted.

All image processing in Ae are mathematical operations performed on RGBA pixels.

In a rough photographic analogy, raw adjustments are akin to developing, and Ae to printing.

The best you can do at this point is render from Ae to a high bit-depth format to give yourself maximum latitude for additional processing later in your pipeline.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: DNG's from MLV's with Ae Pr and Resolve
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 4:37:36 pm

Thanks Walter.

Just as I feared I'm afraid - looking into DPX and EXR at the moment.

Have a thread going in the Resolve forum as well for those who are interested:

Hopefully some good stuff will come out of that.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved