ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

find and replace?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben wolfinsohnfind and replace?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 5:21:16 am

can after effects do a find and replace in the project window for photoshop files?

example - I had a file called x.psd and I want to replace every x.psd file with y.psd file. there are 100’s of them, so mainly doing is a bit of a bummer.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: find and replace?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 1:03:33 pm

For a single comp:

You can search in the timeline panel search box for the name of the asset you wish to replace, then select them all when the timeline is filtered. Then you can use Alt+drag to replace a selection of layers in a comp with a single layer from the project panel.

However, for global changes:

You can right-click any footage element in the project panel and choose "Replace with Precomp" to replace all instances of its use with a precomp. Then, by editing the precomp, you affect all uses.

You can Alt+drag one item in the project panel onto another to replace every instance of its use.

You can right-click any item in a project panel and replace the footage it refers to.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: find and replace?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 4:24:59 pm

Walter gave you the information to replace Photoshop documents from the project window.

But you need to know this -- if you imported the Photoshop document as a comp, the replacement has to have the same number of layers, and I'm pretty sure the layers must have the same names, too.\

Ah, the value of planning......

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: find and replace?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 6:27:33 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I'm pretty sure the layers must have the same names, too."

I actually tested this a while ago and the layers don't need to have same names when replacing. They need to be in the same layer order though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved