ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Hand going into bag and appearing somewhere else?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny OpamoHand going into bag and appearing somewhere else?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 3:52:59 am

Hi all,

I was wondering how to achieve an effect like this in AE -

The scene I'm going to shoot is a man puts his arm into a Doritos bag and it comes out of the woman next to him's Doritos bag. The arm comes out and grabs her face and pulls her into the bag swallowing her whole.

I'll be shooting on a steady tripod and recording blank palette footage of the scene behind the actors.

In terms of production what should I look out for and avoid.
For post-production how would I have the arm come out of the second Doritos bag but still appear closed at the bottom and how would I go about making the bag look like it's swallowing him whole. I imagine the swallowing sequence should be a second or under long so the eye can't register how bad the VFX is going to be.

Hope someone out here can help!

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Hand going into bag and appearing somewhere else?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 4:00:15 pm

Some tips: if you are using greenscreen for the actors (recommended), if you can get away with it, put the greenscreen like 8 ft behind the talent, pull it tight to remove wrinkles, and then adequately light it. With it being so far behind the talent it would help prevent green spill (which can be taken out in post, but is a pain if you've never done it before). I would honestly shoot a lot of this in multiple takes and actually cut a whole out of the bottom of the doritos bag for the guys hand to grab her and pull her in. Clever camera placement will be your best friend. Also, when he pulls her in, consider doing that with 3 shots (your bg slate, the hand in the bag, and then perhaps her doing a fall forward (like she is being pulled) then after you separate her from the greenscreen use the puppet tool to get her to fit in the bag (be sure to use motion blur). It may be just simpler to imply that she was pulled into the bag and show her head in his doritos bag eating his chips or something. You don't always have to do VFX, sometimes just good camera placement or simple compositing is all you need.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved