ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mass Replace

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan BalchMass Replace
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 3:50:47 pm

I've got a comp with multiple layers on it and I've received a request to replace the current graphics with new ones that behave the same way.

I know that I can use OPTION+ CLICK to replace one element in a project with another one in a comp. Can I replace multiple items in a composition this way? I'd rather do it this way than having to restart the project.

Alan Balch
• • • • • • •
Videographer/Carle Foundation Hosptial

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Mass Replace
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 4:01:58 pm

You can use Option+drag to replace a selection of layers in a comp with a single layer from the project panel. If you have multiple source items you need to uniquely replace, you can do them one at a time, but it goes very quickly.

You can right-click any footage element in the project panel and choose "Replace with Precomp" to replace all instances of its use with a precomp. Then, by editing the precomp, you affect all uses.

You can Option+drag one item in the project panel onto another to replace every instance of its use.

You can right-click any item in a project panel and replace the footage it refers to.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Alan BalchRe: Mass Replace
by on Dec 16, 2014 at 3:02:25 pm

Thanks again for your help, pardoner. I ended up just replacing each layer with an OPT+DRAG. It didn't take long at all.

I need to work on my animation skills and any help I can get is appreciated. I tried to animate falling snowflakes at the end of the piece and I feel that they look more like ninja stars and falling rocks than snowflakes.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks again!

Alan Balch
• • • • • • •
Videographer/Carle Foundation Hosptial

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Mass Replace
by on Dec 16, 2014 at 6:27:42 pm

The snowflakes aren't bad at all. A few thoughts on how to improve the animation a little:
- Instead of fading them in and then starting the animation, just start the animation above your composition so they fall down into the screen.
- Some of flakes seem to change direction suddenly. Make the change in direction a little smoother and less drastic. Perhaps look into wiggle expressions to add some random movement to them.
- Don't ease the animation out at the end. Snowflakes don't know where the ground is, so why would they slow down for it? ;) Also, make sure the rotation of the flakes ends when the reach the ground.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved