ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Linking object to shape path vertex

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren WillmottLinking object to shape path vertex
by on Dec 12, 2014 at 11:22:39 am

I am animating a character, his arm is a simple shape path that i have drawn inside after effects.

I am trying to find a way to link a object (glass of beer in this instance) to the path.

Simply pick whicking the object is fine if you are only rotating or adjusting position of the arm, but as soon as you adjust path of stroke it does not read that movement.

There must be a to link the object to the path vertex, any ideas??

I have attached a screenshot of what i am working on, thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Linking object to shape path vertex
by on Dec 12, 2014 at 3:10:02 pm

I don't know of any method to parent a path vertex to another layer – though that doesn't mean there isn't a method....

Are you familiar with the terrific DUIK IK tools for After Effects? http://duduf.net/?page_id=151

When these are combined with puppet pins and nulls, they provide the functionality you require.

There's a short tutorial on this technique here: http://duduf.training/?p=613

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Linking object to shape path vertex
by on Dec 14, 2014 at 12:59:37 am

There is this script, which may be a bit out of reach considering he's charging $100 for it. It will give you per vertex position values. It's pretty amazing. I bought it a while back, and it's been useful here and there.

http://aescripts.com/bao-mask-avenger/

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Warren WillmottRe: Linking object to shape path vertex
by on Dec 14, 2014 at 7:56:39 am

Yeah that could work pretty pricey though, thanks for the replies gents, might just do it manually for this little job, but that avenger is worth a closer look on a bigger project

Return to posts index

Everton GoisRe: Linking object to shape path vertex
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 10:55:18 am

Have you found a practical solution for that?. I'm on the same situation now.

Everton Gois
Digital Artist

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Linking object to shape path vertex
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 3:30:28 pm

One practical solution is to use the puppet tool rather than shapes.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2016 at 5:21:37 pm

Hi Kalle, I think you are right, but if I have to use puppet tool, I'd personally use DuIk tools, which I'm more familiar. I was trying to find a simpler way to animate a character. I have been using DuIk for the last past 2 years and it is very good for complex character animation but this time I was trying use only path shape. Yeah, I think I should stick to puppet tools. Thanks for your help Kalle.

Everton Gois
Digital Artist

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Linking object to shape path vertex
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 5:13:15 pm

Have you tried RubberHose from Battleaxe? It's like the most perfect solution for this problem. http://www.battleaxe.co/rubberhose/

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2016 at 5:31:37 pm

Hi Jason, Wow mate, actually NO, I haven't seen it yet. It sounds pretty good. Thanks for sharing it! I'm on early stage with an animation character project. I'm used to work with Duik but I decided to experiment an different character setup this time ( an easier one, only using path shape for the limbs ). I haven't got the script back from my client yet, so I still exploring it and I know he is a tourist, so he will use a camera sometimes which will be strapped on his neck. Even if I can get this thing working, will have to figure out later on how do I link/unlink the camera to his hand. Thank you so much for sharing it. I'll have a look.

Everton Gois
Digital Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]