ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

displacement map pivot point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben wolfinsohndisplacement map pivot point
by on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:07:28 am

I have created a displacement map that is being used on a cartoon face that is allowing me give a little bit of rotation to face, just as you see people do it on photos to give them a little bit of movement. it works perfectly except that every time I change the horizontal value on the displacement map I also have to move the position of the elements left or right or else it looks like its all pivoting in the center of the head and not further back in space where the neck is. can i do something so i do not have to re adjust the position manually every time i change the displacement map value?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Graham MacfarlaneRe: displacement map pivot point
by on Dec 12, 2014 at 11:00:59 am

Hi Ben,

Try adding a levels effect to your displacement map (you will need to precomp the map first).
This should allow you to adjust the depth and range of the map's effect on the displacement.

Graham Macfarlane - 3D visualisation and VFX
3D Studio Max | Vray | Pflow | PhoenixFD | After effects | Mocha

http://www.elyarch.com - London UK

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohnRe: displacement map pivot point
by on Dec 12, 2014 at 9:46:06 pm

levels will not do what I need it to do. the more I slide the displacement map value in 1 direction the more i need the object to move in the other direction if that makes sense.

thanks

Return to posts index

Graham MacfarlaneRe: displacement map pivot point
by on Dec 13, 2014 at 10:13:56 am

Assuming your displacement map is a black and white gradient and your displacement effect is set to luminance or lightness:

The displacement effect will offset your cartoon face in one direction where the displacement map is above 127 Grey and the other direction where the map is below 127 grey.
Where the map is exactly 127 grey, you should get no displacement at all.

If you need the apparent pivot of your character to be where the neck is, then the neck is essentially not going to displace, so try to make the displacement map hit around 127 grey in the neck area.
Rather than painting this in Photoshop, you should be able to apply the levels effect to your displacement map to shift its brightness.

Graham Macfarlane - 3D visualisation and VFX
3D Studio Max | Vray | Pflow | PhoenixFD | After effects | Mocha

http://www.elyarch.com - London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]