ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Optimizing Memory, Multiprocessing & SSD's - I know - again

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom MarquisOptimizing Memory, Multiprocessing & SSD's - I know - again
by on Dec 12, 2014 at 1:25:27 am
Last Edited By Tom Marquis on Dec 12, 2014 at 2:52:18 am

So I just updated my Intel i7 (8 core) laptop to 32 gigs of ram and two sata 3 SSD's. I replaced the sata 2 dvd drive with a drive caddy that now holds the old hard drive. So I have 3 drives total + an external usb 3 hard drive. I would like to know how to optimize this setup.

I know its best to have your AE cache on a separate disk then your project folder. I wanted to use the two ssd's for this but my system/C drive is almost full. So I have the project folder on the Old hard drive and the AE cache folder on the second free SSD. Would it be better to have my project folder on the usb 3 external? I suppose I could squeeze the project folder onto the SSD system drive but I worry that that windows wont have enough room to function. (There is currently 30 gigs available.)

Does the project folder need a fast drive?
What about virtual memory in windows I've heard some people say you can turn it off if you have more than 8 gigs of ram. Mine is currently set to 200MB does AE need a larger vm setting?

I did my best to set the Memory & Multiprocessing - attached is a screenshot. I would love your thoughts on that as well.

Boulder, CO

So I found this video which has the best explanation yet.

So here are my new settings:

Oh and then there is the gpu which I'm not sure what to do with.

Return to posts index

Tom MarquisRe: Optimizing Memory, Multiprocessing & SSD's - I know - again
by on Dec 16, 2014 at 6:12:35 pm

Boulder, CO

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved