ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Not quite Kinetic Type

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Tunnell
Not quite Kinetic Type
on Dec 11, 2014 at 4:01:51 pm

My client sent me this video (Please ignore the content, this is about the text animation only):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI8OtOfzUDE#t=49

Is there a script or plug in that can create the kind of text animation that is seen at :49 seconds. I have TypeMonkey, but it doesn't do this type of thing.

Thanks,

David Tunnell
TunnellVision Productions

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Not quite Kinetic Type
on Dec 11, 2014 at 4:47:25 pm

I would call that exactly kinetic typography. All the monkey products are good, but moving them seamlessly from one phrase to the next can be tough(though doable).

For something like that video though, I would just put my head down and do the work and plug & chug. Copy and paste each word to a new layer, add camera, do moves.

Lots of great tutorials on youtube, lynda, vimeo on Kinetic Typography: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#...

Here's one that I think does a particularly good job at illustrating the technique: http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/design-rhythmic-motion-typography-in-afte...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on Dec 11, 2014 at 4:55:56 pm

Thanks John, I was figuring I would get that answer. :-)

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Dec 11, 2014 at 8:07:42 pm

I do this stuff all the time--it's rather easy once you get the hang of it. Something like what they've done is probably a 2-3 hour project for the text animation.

I simply place my text on the scene, depending on how I want the animation to play out I may type each individual word or sentence.

Once everything is where I want it, I'll check the 3d box and adjust my anchor to where I need the rotation, scale or position to animate from.

I've found it's much easier overall to NOT use 3d cameras and go all out, but rather parenting to each other and/or to nulls for full scaling/positions/rotations.

Also. someone posted this script which I live by. Adjust the amp, freq and decay parameters to your specs, do NOT use ease keyframes, and use about 3-4 frames for the start/end for a nice bounce.

amp = .1;
freq = 2.0;
decay = 2.0;

n = 0;
if (numKeys > 0){
n = nearestKey(time).index;
if (key(n).time > time){
n--;
}}

if (n == 0){ t = 0;
}else{
t = time - key(n).time;
}

if (n > 0){
v = velocityAtTime(key(n).time - thisComp.frameDuration/10);
value + v*amp*Math.sin(freq*t*2*Math.PI)/Math.exp(decay*t);
}else{value}

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on Dec 11, 2014 at 8:36:25 pm

Thanks Tim, I will give it a try, BTW I have used that expression before and it is very handy.

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]