ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting OMF from After effects Work Around

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david dodgeExporting OMF from After effects Work Around
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:56:38 pm

Hey dudes,

I figured out a work around to exporting an OMF out of After Effects, but I feel like I'm making this way harder than it needs to be.

The way I'm working around it now is:

1. Copy and Paste the audio from AE into a Premiere timeline
2. Export an XML from that (for some reason, I could only export encapsulated audio, when I tried to export the OMF from Premiere whenever I try to export with separate audio files Premeire crashed every time)
3. Import the XML into Audition
4. Export OMF from Audition

Like I said, it worked, but I feel like there is a much easier way to do this and I'd really like to know how I can make this easier.

I'm currently working on the CS6 Creative Suite:

Mac OS X 10.7.5
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
32GB 1066 MHz DDR3

Dunno if any of that is relevant, anywho, thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Exporting OMF from After effects Work Around
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 6:53:50 pm

Can you describe your total workflow on this project? That's a pretty bizarre way of handling things, particularly when you understand that audio is almost an afterthought in AE.

There may be easier ways to do what you need to do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david dodgeRe: Exporting OMF from After effects Work Around
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 7:06:01 pm

Dave,

For sure man, so generally how a project will work is, I'll get a song, VO, and a script. From there, I lay the audio track down and make a couple simple cuts as needed to line up portions of the audio with animations I'm creating, nothing crazy, just a couple cuts and will move the audio up and down the timeline as needed, then, I'll do the same with the VO if I need some space in between breaths, etc.

After the animation is done and clients have approved the piece, we'll have the audio mixed.

Before the sound studio would just take the original audio files from them and reposition them on their end as they were in my final video, but in this instance, the audio place requested an OMF with the audio files in place as they were in my timeline.

I've been doing this for 10 years and never really had to deal with audio, as I'm mostly a designer/animator so it definitely felt like it was a very bizarre way to do it, but looking online didn't really offer any other solutions and this is just kind of the one I came up with.

So I'm pretty much asking, how do you other guys do it?

daviddodge.co

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Exporting OMF from After effects Work Around
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 9:26:23 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 10, 2014 at 9:41:40 pm

Get the audio finalized for export to OMF in the video editing application. Then you can export an OMF, and export an aiff/wav for reference in AE. Should work like a charm.

With the exception of only a couple of really handy, easy-to-use audio Effects, AE pretty much stinks for audio.

I don't include audio even when I render out lip-sync video from AE. My audio exists in the video editing application, and I KNOW the only way AE will screw up a frame rate is if I screw it up.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]