ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

32 bit rendering of saturated colours

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Stacey32 bit rendering of saturated colours
by on Dec 9, 2014 at 11:56:17 pm

hi, i've been trying for years to figure this out, and it's still annoying me. can someone please help!

basically, can someone please explain why there are some colours that you can create in 32 bit mode, that are impossible to render out. they look completely different. as far as i can tell, it's any colour that is pure, like 100% red, green and blue. but the closer you get to 100% pure the more off the colours get.
here is a comp, and screen shots of what i am talking about.

so as you can see, the top image is the render, and the bottom image a screenshot from AE. totally different.
the first two circles however, look the same in the render. all the circles have simular values. the only difference is the first two circles have a mixture of colours in them, where as the bottom 3 are just pure.

it's so frustrating to get a look you're happy with in AE, and then render it, and the colours to completely change!
can someone please explain to me how to stop this, or even why it's happening!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 32 bit rendering of saturated colours
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 12:23:18 am

Different output formats and display devices have different color spaces (specifically, gamuts) associated with them. Also, many output formats, codecs, and devices have limited color bit depth. After Effects at 32-bpc is high-dynamic-range, meaning that it can represent a much vaster range and precision of colors than can be displayed on any device---and beyond the capabilities of most output formats (OpenEXR being one notable exception).

To see how something is going to look when you output it and view it on a specific device, use color management in After Effects, and specifically use the output simulation feature in the Composition panel.

Color management:

HDR color:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Martin StaceyRe: 32 bit rendering of saturated colours
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 12:46:51 am

great thanks for the help.
having the output simulation on fixes the problem. but i still don't really understand why i can screen grab a colour that after effects renders completely differently. it just seems strange that a very hot red i.e. 5,0,0 will render completely differently, but add some blue and green in, and it renders the same. but i think it's just way over my head. thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 32 bit rendering of saturated colours
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:48:41 pm

I am seeing very different results with this test project using different monitor color profile. I have some profiles which always show the rendered output in Ae, and some which demonstrate the discrepancy you've highlighted above.

This leads me to wonder if there's either a bug in how Ae is handling the display color management, or if there's a bug in how the profiling software is writing the .ICM files in the first place.

Martin, can I steal your project file to file a bug report against?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Martin StaceyRe: 32 bit rendering of saturated colours
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 5:12:36 pm

sure, i'd LOVE a solution to this! it's bugged me for years! just surprised more people haven't bought it up really. it's a massive pain in the bum. turning on simulate output does solve the problem thou, so i'm just doin that from now on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved