ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding object to video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob SimsAdding object to video
by on Dec 6, 2014 at 1:20:43 pm

Hi Folks.

I'm trying to superimpose an object (jpeg format) onto a video clip, and am assuming it's something I'd do in After Effects. It's a clip of someone pretending to throw a ball into someone else's mouth. I grabbed a jpeg of a ball, so that's all set. Then I took video of a hand throwing the imaginary ball, and then walked toward the other person whose mouth is open to catch it. The video ends just inside his mouth.

Any suggestions on the best way to make this happen? And any extra suggestions on adding realism to the ball itself?

As always, thank you all for any advice you can offer, and please feel free to email me directly:

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Adding object to video
by on Dec 8, 2014 at 2:36:34 pm

If it were me, I would probably use the CC Sphere effect to create my ball. That why you could rotate it to make it more realistic. Also, you CC Sphere has some basic lighting, highlights and shadows you could add to the ball to further integrate it into your scene.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Bob SimsRe: Adding object to video
by on Dec 9, 2014 at 3:24:28 am

Hi Johnny, and thank you for responding to my post.

Actually, the project has now changed slightly. It's no longer a ball that's getting thrown into someone's mouth. Instead, it's two lines of text (with three words per line). So now I need to figure out how to create some text (preferably 3D), and have that fly through the air (perhaps spinning around somehow to add "realism") and land in the guy's mouth.

The way I shot the video, it's a straight-on shot of the catcher. And right in front of the lens is the right hand of someone throwing the imaginary object. As the throwing hand drops away, the camera slowly moves toward the catcher, and ends right at the edge of his mouth.

My goal is to have the text appear on its own initially, and then have the video of the catcher fade in, with the throwing hand perfectly framing the text. Then the hand throws the text, and it spins through the air, eventually landing in the catcher's mouth.

Any further advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved