ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

interlaced footage - how to tell? Pixelization fix?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hope Holmesby
interlaced footage - how to tell? Pixelization fix?
on Dec 6, 2014 at 12:43:05 am
Last Edited By Hope Holmesby on Dec 6, 2014 at 12:50:59 am

Hi, thanks for reading

Just bought 15 videos 'web' size from shutterstock.

Using them in a 25 fps PAL SD comp. (stretching them all to 1024 wide - it is a dream scene, so blurry is ok)
How to fix pixilation...any 'fix' or blur technique?

Also:

Is there anyway to tell if footage is interlaced?

They are all NTSC and 30 or 29....fps

So far, I have not done anything to the footage...

It looks like this:

(rendered in AE in Photo Jpeg 86%, then uploaded to Youtube, which will be its final destination.)

Some videos have been scaled much larger, so they are the ones really showing the pixilation.

Would it help, overal to do this:

In interpret footage box-to change each videos the frame rate:

• conform to frame rate: 25 fps
• fields and Pulldown:
separate Fields: Upper field first

Preserve edges

Does this seem right?

What do you think?

I have no way of knowing if the footage is interlaced. How does one tell?

Thanks so much:
Pixelization
Interlaced?
Settings?

Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB;
Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
Re: interlaced footage - how to tell? Pixelization fix?
on Dec 6, 2014 at 8:32:31 pm

Check out MediaInfo to view the information of your purchased/downloaded clips.

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

As for the pixelation, I think you'll get that no matter what because you're upscaling. What size is "web size"?

-Stephen

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Dec 7, 2014 at 12:11:50 am

Hi thanks for the reply Stephen (used to go to school with someone by your name too....)

426 x 240 px is the web size.

Ok, thank you. Will check out your link.
I guess, when i looked at the videos frame by frame, i did not see any horizontal lines, so I guess none of them are interlaced.
so deleted that setting.

Just changed in 'interpret footage', the frame rate as mentioned above, plus put frame blending and motion blur turned on for all of the footage in the timeline, as changing from 30 fps to 25 might require it? Not sure if one needs to do that tho. What do you think, as it is less frames and not more frames being added.

Life is here to enjoy.

Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 8, 2014 at 10:59:42 am

[Hope Holmesby] "Just changed in 'interpret footage', the frame rate as mentioned above, plus put frame blending and motion blur turned on for all of the footage in the timeline, as changing from 30 fps to 25 might require it? Not sure if one needs to do that tho. What do you think, as it is less frames and not more frames being added."

If you change the frame rate in the Interpret Footage window, that does not necessarily require frame blending. When you change this value, Ae will adjust the playback rate for the clip, which also changes its duration. It keeps the same exact frames.

For example, if you have a 1 second clip at 60 frame per seconds (in other words, 60 frames) and use Interpret Footage to change the frame rate to 30 frames per second, it will still be 60 frames long, but now playback will take 2 seconds.

Frame blending comes into play when the frame rate of a media layer doesn't match the frame rate of the comp it's playing in. This can occur any time you use media (i.e., a 30 fps clip in a 25 fps comp), or if you alter a clip's timing with Time Stretch or Time Remapping.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Dec 9, 2014 at 6:53:50 pm

Hi Walter, thank you for your commnets, appreciate

[Walter Soyka] "For example, if you have a 1 second clip at 60 frame per seconds (in other words, 60 frames) and use Interpret Footage to change the frame rate to 30 frames per second, it will still be 60 frames long, but now playback will take 2 seconds."

wow, ok, well maybe it isnt really necessary to change the fps then?

[Walter Soyka] "(i.e., a 30 fps clip in a 25 fps comp),"

Ok, Walter, since I am doing as you say here, then i do need to turn on frame blending ?

What if I had just left the 30 and 29....fps movies as they were and not changed the frame rate in Interpret Footage, with the the comp set to 25fps for the PAL we use? Then what? Would it have been ok too? (or would one have had to turn on Frame Blending and Motion Blur in that case?)

Or
better to change frame rate, as then maybe it will be slightly less blurred?

Thanks again, Walter, as alwasy for you help / insights.

Warmly to you both,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 9, 2014 at 7:02:11 pm

[Hope Holmesby] "Ok, Walter, since I am doing as you say here, then i do need to turn on frame blending ? ... Or better to change frame rate, as then maybe it will be slightly less blurred?"

It's up to you and the look you're going after. There is some compromise to be made -- you just have to choose which one.

If you interpret footage down to 25 fps from its 29.97/30 fps, you are slowing it up and it will look a little slower than normal when it plays. This has no effect on render time.

If you do not change the frame rate, and if you leave frame blending off for the layer, then will play at the correct speed, but it will skip frames and look a little jumpier than normal when it plays. This has no effect on render time.

If you do not change the frame rate, and if you do have frame blending set to Frame Mix, then it will look a bit softer than normal as adjacent frames are blended together. It may still be a little jumpy, but not as jumpy as frame blending off. This very, very slightly increases render time.

If you do not change the frame rate, and if you do have frame blending set to Pixel Motion, then sharpness should be preserved, motion should look smooth, but the footage may exhibit "gloppy" artifacts in areas of hard-to-separate motion. This may noticeably increase render time.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:27:21 am

Walter,
OMG, so, so very kind of you to spell all this out.

Really,very nice of you. I so appreciate. I will have to read and digest this all. What a saint you are!!!

I did notice that you mentioned Frame Mix....is that different that the frame blending button in the the timeline, where one turns it on for a layer?

C

Life is here to enjoy.

Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:27:14 pm

Thanks very much for the kind words, Hope.

The frame blending switch on footage layers in the timeline is not a frame-blending/no-frame-blending toggle. Rather, it's a three-way switch: frame blending off, Frame Mix, or Pixel Motion.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]