ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pasting expressions on layers from Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McMullinPasting expressions on layers from Photoshop
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 11:16:40 am

I've brought a Photoshop document into After Effects as a 1920 x 1080 composition, the same size as the PSD. If I look at the layer positions, the position coordinates aren't all at 960 x 540. Some of them are slightly offset.

The problem I have is if I write the following expression and want to copy it to the other layers:

X=thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("X position")("Slider");

If I select the position property to copy the expression, when I paste it to the position property of the other layers it is as though the value is reset to 960, 540 for all the layers. When the slider is at zero, all the layers get a position of 960, 540 and move to the wrong starting position.

If I copy and paste the actual code by enabling an expression first and then copying and pasting the actual code text, then I don't get this problem. Is this typical behaviour? It's just a bit more laborious than control clicking all the position properties and pasting.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Pasting expressions on layers from Photoshop
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 2:46:39 pm

Why don't you simply avoid the expression messiness, set up your layers in a comp as you like them, add a null to the comp, and animate the null? Done.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved