ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Error:Output Module Stopped Responding----Days Estimate for 45 Second Output. Soluition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel MonskeyAE Error:Output Module Stopped Responding----Days Estimate for 45 Second Output. Soluition?
by on Dec 3, 2014 at 11:59:26 pm

I am outputting an AE template project that is 45 seconds long. It has 6 .mov segments (1;20 to 7:00 duration) that are each about 1.7 to 3.4 GB in size (QT Apple ProRes 422HQ format). When I load it in the Render Que it begins, and advances super slow! (about 1 second, 30 fps per hour of process time) It has been showing abut 70 hours to process the entire 45 second project. However, it only gets about 2-1/2 hours (1:28) into the 70 hour render output process before an error comes up.
Error Message: "After Effects error. An output module stopped responding. The File may be damaged or corrupted. You may need to restart After Effects."
Every time I attempt to process the project this happens. I suspect something is wrong taking that much time to process, besides being stubborn and not succeeding in the output process. However, I have no idea what could be the problem-the videos all seem fine when I watch them as QT movies.
Any suggestions how to proceed?
In the meantime I am going to try outputting the project without any of my files being linked to it to see if it is a problem with the template.
Thanks for any help all of you AE Wizards! I appreciate all the help you have given in the past already.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Error:Output Module Stopped Responding----Days Estimate for 45 Second Output. Soluition?
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 12:25:32 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 4, 2014 at 12:57:41 am

We gotta start at the beginning. What PRECISE VERSION -- down to the last decimal point -- of AE are you running? Likewise for your OS.

The newer versions of AE act funny under the Mac Yosemite OS if they haven't been updated for Yosemite.

And it may be that you indeed have corrupted media. Have you tried tossing them into a different project, then into a comp, and just tried rendering them to see if you get the same time-consuming result?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel MonskeyRe: AE Error:Output Module Stopped Responding----Days Estimate for 45 Second Output. Soluition?
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 1:52:38 am

Hi Dave. You're everywhere! Thanks for responding.
My OS system is Mac 10.7.5
The After Effects CS6 version is 11.0.4

I will be testing the program template with no media, with other media and I did recently output an AE project with no problem. I will get back in "the lab" and work on a few potion recipes.
Dan

Return to posts index

Daniel MonskeyRe: AE Error:Output Module Stopped Responding----Days Estimate for 45 Second Output. Soluition?
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 9:08:45 am

I turned off all other programs on my computer.
I output the project with only still photos as place-holders in the video window frames, as well as making simple data changes like personalizing the text so the only variable I was changing was eliminating the big video files.
It output in 1-1/2 hours--successful and clean.
I suspect the video files are way too big.
The videos are full-version Quicktime Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) files (as I mentioned they are 1.7GB - 3.4GB).
They do not need to be this big as I could chop them down and output them into a 45 second time length (they are 1:35 - 7:30 minutes). I just used the complete videos for convenience since I already had those FCP completed video files.

For the After Effects settings in the render que:
Quicktime format is the setting on the first box to open---no changes, that's the default for me.
On the 2nd Render setting box that pops up I change the setting from animated to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ. I make no other changes, except for the videos (not this time with the photos) I did check the audio box and make that 48.
I then select my destination setting as needed.
And I then hit Render.
With the videos the process crashed with that error message after 2-1/2 hours when it was going to take 75 hours. With the photo placeholders it took 1-1/2 hours and was success.
Should I re-output the videos in a different format using FCP (shortening them to 45 seconds)and use them ONLY as effects files for this project? Are there suggested setting that are different from the ones I listed above for the render que output process?
Dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Error:Output Module Stopped Responding----Days Estimate for 45 Second Output. Soluition?
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 4:07:30 pm

The file size of a video layer has no bearing on AE render times. The horizontal & vertical dimensions & frame rate do have an impact.

What has even more impact?
3D.
The number of lights, and layers casting & accepting shadows.
Certain render-intensive effects like Remove Grain.
Motion Blur.
Using Ray-Tracing -- the biggest offender.

And typically, the only benefit of using ProRes HQ is to increase file size. In 99% of cases, good ol' 422 is just fine -- it can withstand six generations of re-rendering with absolutely no visisble degredation of image.

I'd look at the render report (or whatever they call it), figure out the frame or time code in the comp where the error occurred, and scrutinize the video layer(s). It's rare, but one could actually have been corrupted. The fix: export a new clip for use in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]