ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CC2014 and GPU cards

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David McLastyAE CC2014 and GPU cards
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 7:13:13 pm

I have a question on the multiple GPU support under CC2014. I know Premiere can support multiple GPUs for export, but does it have any effect with timeline rendering in AE? I have a Quadro K5000 in my system now, I'm just wondering if it's worth spending another 2K for a second card if the only benefit is with exporting. Any idea if Adobe will support multiple GPUs in future versions for preview and effects rendering?

On a side note, does Media Encoder support two GPUs for faster encoding?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE CC2014 and GPU cards
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 7:24:27 pm

After Effects doesn't use the GPU for rendering anything except the old ray-traced renderer and a few third-party effects (like Red Giant Universe and Video Copilot's Element 3d).

See more info here [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

reza rafie gilaniRe: AE CC2014 and GPU cards
by on May 16, 2015 at 7:03:29 pm

i am going to buy Gforce GTX 980 for aftereffect. i am not sure if i would be able to use Multiple GPU in after effect in some time later ?
i am not certain aftereffect dont support GTx 980 Vga card

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE CC2014 and GPU cards
by on May 16, 2015 at 10:31:35 pm

[reza rafie gilani] "i am going to buy Gforce GTX 980 for aftereffect. i am not sure if i would be able to use Multiple GPU in after effect in some time later ?
i am not certain aftereffect dont support GTx 980 Vga card"

Did you read the link I posted?

AE doesn't do much with the GPU at all.

And the card you mentioned can't even be used to accelerate the obsolete ray-tracd renderer (the only thing AE really might use the GPU for at all).

Now, if you're using third-party plugins like Element 3d, they might use the GPU, but their requirements are different than AE's.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CC2014 and GPU cards
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 11:07:37 pm

As Michael indicates, After Effects uses the GPU for very little. Make your GPU buying decisions based on what you need for Premiere Pro, and you'll generally be fine for After Effects. See the document that Michael linked to for details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]