ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Clicking and Dragging inside of after effects seems to make it crash.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fulde
Clicking and Dragging inside of after effects seems to make it crash.
on Dec 2, 2014 at 7:06:02 pm

Hello all! So I've been having a really weird bug that seems to only be happening on my system, and not the others in the office.

If the computer is on for an unknown length of time (Seems to be anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour) the act of clicking and dragging will cause the program to force itself to save a copy of the project (Projectname_#), and then crash. From then on, whenever I open after effects, trying to click and drag something will result in the same issue until I reboot.

Computer specs: Late 2013 Mac Pro, OSX 10.9.4, 3.5GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5. 32GB RAM, 2X AMD FireProD700 6144MB and Using After Effects 13.1.1

Troubleshooting steps I've already tried (with Adobe's help) - Rebooting (Duh :P ), re-installing after effects, allowing AE to use more video ram (Reccommended 80% from the Adobe knowledge base), changed where the project file is saved, deleted user preferences, removed all third party plugins, removing all system preferences (changing Adobe to OldAdobe in Application Support, Documents, and Preferences), verifying/repairing disk permissions, removed CUDA framework, completely cleared the cache (both within after effects using the 'clear cache/database command and manually), turned "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels' on (It was off). None of this has worked... any help?

this issue has only popped up in the past week or so.

The only thing that seems to work (for now) is making a new user account and working from that, which is far from idea since I have so much set up with the other account. Is there another solution anyone can think of?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Clicking and Dragging inside of after effects seems to make it crash.
on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:12:17 pm

Could it be a permissions issue? Have you run the Mac OS Repair Permissions routine?

Could be this, too:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/permissions-mac-os-start-adobe-...

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Fulde
on Dec 11, 2014 at 1:17:16 pm

I did do a run of the repair permissions routine. Work has been too insane for me to try manually telling that folder in the link you sent me to be read/write.

I am currently still using my workaround of using a different user profile

Return to posts index

David Fulde
on Jan 10, 2015 at 6:25:57 pm

So, I've started having this issue on my home computer as well. I've tried repairing disk permissions, and tried that troubleshooting technique. This is an odd issue that's occurring on two different computers. I can't be the only one that is having this, can I?

Return to posts index

Alejandro Benavente
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:32:24 pm
Last Edited By Alejandro Benavente on Jan 14, 2015 at 5:01:20 pm

Nope, you are not alone. I'm experiencing the same issue, beachball crash and program freeze, auto save of progress in a _+1 version of the project.

[ Edit - Removed a lot of detailed info about the problem ]

Ok, I think I've finally solved the problem for good.
Short answer is, the Pushbullet extension for Chrome was interfering with AE and causing these crashes, odd as it might seem.

I located an After Effects error report in the system Console just before every crash, reading something about "can't allocate a new block for a pasteboard". Strangely enough, Chrome browser was also throwing constant errors with the exact same title, which was odd.
Googling about it I found some other users which were having the same drag&crash problem with an entirely different app, and they pinpointed the Pushbullet extension within Chrome.
I have deactivated it, and have been working in AE for hours now without a single crash.

David, hope this also solves your issue, it certainly seems to be the exact same scenario.

Return to posts index

James Huang
on Jan 16, 2015 at 9:21:46 pm

Just a side note- I've also regained dragging inside iTunes since I disabled pushbullet. Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Fulde
on Jan 22, 2015 at 12:42:09 am

This seems to have solved it! Odd for sure!

Return to posts index

David Fulde
on Mar 10, 2015 at 2:48:33 pm

For antone still looking for a solution - if you DISABLE universal copy/paste on the computer with After Effects, THAT is what is causing the issue

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]