ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE with E3D and C4D with E3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Dieter Wayland
AE with E3D and C4D with E3D
on Dec 2, 2014 at 4:28:59 pm

Hello, a simple example: i have a c4d animation imported in AE where a sphere orbits around a cube. The cube extends the whole longitude of the y axis. so the sphere vanishes behind the cube for some time during this circle. Now i replaced the sphere in c4d with a Null object and gave the position keyframe data (copy/paste) to the Null associated with a videocopilot jet model (Element 3D Layer). The result is the jet is NOT vanishing behind the cube, in the AE view renderport, it is still in front.

Is is always more or less a general compositing problem with VCP i have. How should i handle this correctly?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: AE with E3D and C4D with E3D
on Dec 2, 2014 at 5:20:37 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Dec 2, 2014 at 6:55:15 pm

obscuration matte in Element 3D. oh aha, I read it backwards, but still useful if you do the opposite.
oh since your using a camera, try world position matte in element 3d, its like a 3d matte!

Return to posts index

Dieter Wayland
on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:56:12 pm

Thanks but i do not really get the glue...what is 'world position matte' in e3d?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 2, 2014 at 5:21:37 pm

You should use an Object Buffer in C4D for the sphere. The object buffer can work as a luma matte for your occluded layer.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dieter Wayland
on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:42:54 pm

Thank you for this information. But the problem is not the sphere, which already behaves as desired. The sphere was the test object. Now the new object which should travel around the cube comes out of vcp (element 3d, e3d) (the jet) which travels asside the sphere, but the problem is: The sphere travels correctly behind and before the cube while orbiting. But the jet as 'chlld' of the sphere travels in this case in front of the cube and when the sphere goes behind the problem is the jet is still in front of the cube. So in the AE vieport the jet circle stays visible in front of the cube. - OK i installed via compositing tag object buffers an the sphere and on the corresponding Nulls. But nothing happens...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 3, 2014 at 1:20:53 am

The issue here is that Element and C4D do not actually share a common 3D space in Ae. They are both just flat 2D layers, so if you want them to look like they are interacting in 3D space, you need to matte the layer that is supposed to be obscured by another object.

It's not enough to add compositing tags, you actually need a layer in Ae with the object buffer, which you use as a luma matte for the E3D layer.

If you are using a world position matte (which you can use to kind of slice the Element scene in space from the camera), then you need to use that as a separate layer, matting a duplicate of the C4D object.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]