ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d stroke expression for particle world. Attaching one null to another null.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Garabedain3d stroke expression for particle world. Attaching one null to another null.
by on Dec 1, 2014 at 11:46:54 pm

Ive got it all set up properly. My particles are attached to a null in x,y and z space just fine. But i wanted to attach that null to another null and spin around it. Trying to make christmas tree effect.

My problem is when i attach the particle control null to the roationtal null, my particles are now way off course. They still follow the null but are way off on position. I could have sworn ive done this before. But i cant get it to work now.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d stroke expression for particle world. Attaching one null to another null.
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 12:17:56 am

Sounds like you parented one null to the the other null at the wrong time... as in before you put the "boss" null where you wanted it to start, or after you wanted it to end.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: 3d stroke expression for particle world. Attaching one null to another null.
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 12:41:48 am

I have not animated anything yet. Everything is the center of the comp.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d stroke expression for particle world. Attaching one null to another null.
by on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:39:07 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:41:16 am

Hmmmmm... I don't see why expressions are even needed.
Okay, one expression: particle emitter to the emitter null's position.

Start by parenting the emitter null to the Master null.
Before beginning the animation, place the the emitter null a distance away in z-zpace. Place the Master null at the bottom of the screen. Then animate the Master's y-rotation so make it spin and y-position to the top.. then stop the spin. Animate the emitter null's z-position to zero.

The result: the emitter starts moving in a circle, wide at the bottom and at a single point at the top: a nice cone-shaped tree full of sparklies.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 3d stroke expression for particle world. Attaching one null to another null.
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 5:02:45 pm

If you're trying to get something in AE to follow a layer, it's no problem. However, if that layer then becomes parented to something else, you need to use the toWorld expression otherwise it's looking at the parented values.

The expression would look something like:
L = thisComp.layer("Child Null");
L.toWorld(L.anchorPoint)

Where Child Null is the name of the layer you want the particles to follow. It's easiest just to pickwhip that line after the = symbol.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]