ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Graphics tablet - quick recommendation on which Wacom to get?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sophia SmolokaGraphics tablet - quick recommendation on which Wacom to get?
by on Dec 1, 2014 at 2:24:49 pm

Hi,

I'd like to get a graphics tablet for various uses: photo editing, drawing (for hobby purposes), and editing.

I've never used a graphics tablet before so I'd like to know if I'm best off starting with an Intuos Pen and Touch (small) which I can get for £60-70?

Or do I search ebay for a good deal on an used Intuos 3 or 4 (small or medium)?

I've tried the Intuos Pen and Touch in store and quite liked it - I think it could really get into it and I'm sure it's a good way of avoiding future wrist problems.

I can't justify a current Pro version because of the price. If I really come to love the tablet, I'll probably buy into that eventually.

So basically: for starting out purposes, will an entry level tablet do what I need or will I come to want a more pro version soon, especially if I use it in AE? I know it's hard to know which is why I'm hoping to get some thoughts on it by people who've got experience.

Thanks!

At home I'm on a 13" Macbook and at work I'm using a PC with two normal sized displays (so, no giant monitors for me).

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Graphics tablet - quick recommendation on which Wacom to get?
by on Dec 1, 2014 at 2:48:20 pm

If you can find an Intuos 4 Medium for a good price, I'd say go for that. The more reasonable size of the surface will trump any newer features on the current generation (in my opinion, of course).

The larger the tablet's surface, the more you can use your elbow and shoulder to move the cursor and the less you have to use your wrist. I find this leads to much less strain.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Graphics tablet - quick recommendation on which Wacom to get?
by on Dec 1, 2014 at 6:06:27 pm

don't forget to customize the pointer acceleration curve with custom software. ie. the faster you move, the farther it goes.
if you move slow, it's still pixel accurate. You can go across the screen with a fast motion and its very predictable. unlike the horrible microsoft smart pointer stuff. this newer technology is smart precision that will save your elbow.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Graphics tablet - quick recommendation on which Wacom to get?
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 5:23:06 pm

Chris, what software do you recommend for this?

Personally, I prefer pen mode for a Wacom, where a point on the tablet corresponds with a pixel on the screen, so you must provide your own acceleration by actually moving the pen, but I also use trackballs and this would be excellent with them.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Graphics tablet - quick recommendation on which Wacom to get?
by on Dec 3, 2014 at 4:30:26 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Dec 3, 2014 at 4:34:15 pm

these are for osx

http://triq.net/articles/mouse-acceleration-preference-pane-mac-os-x
http://smoothcursor.com/

I actually write my own for pc though with ahk to get a 20 button mouse.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]