ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Continuous Rasterisation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bronwyn HarveyContinuous Rasterisation
by on Nov 28, 2014 at 9:37:40 am

Hello All,

I have taken an eps file, put it in a composition and added some scaling and transforming effects. At this stage I have clicked the continuous rasterisation switch and all is working fine. The Vector shape has sharp edges.

But I would like to bevel and extrude my logo. So I need to change my logo into a Shape Layer. However I can now no longer click the C.R switch. It's greyed out. When I turn on Ray Trace 3D and add effects and lights, the edges on the now shape layer look stressed and rough as if the C.R switch did nothing.

Can anyone help here?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Continuous Rasterisation
by on Nov 28, 2014 at 4:03:09 pm

Use a nested comp. Scale up your image as big as you will ever need it suing Continuously Rasterize. Change the nested comp's dimensions to accommodate it, if necessary.

Now use this comp as another piece of footage. There's no further need for Continuously Rasterize in this instance.

Also know that Adobe has given up on ray tracing in the most recent versions of AE in favor of C4D Lite, which works better.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Continuous Rasterisation
by on Nov 28, 2014 at 6:50:39 pm
Last Edited By Brian Charles on Dec 1, 2014 at 12:54:53 am

The Continuously Rasterize switch does not function with shape layers regardless of the 3D render engine (Classic or Ray Traced). Shape layers are always Continuously Rasterized.

If the edges are soft or rough it may be that you are previewing in a draft mode, not the final mode. Or the Ray-tracing quality is set too low, check the options in Ray Traced 3D.

Also lights add volume and shading to Ray Traced 3D. This tutorial and free script may assist your efforts. (Shameless self-promotion here ;) )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved