i7-3770 non k
2 gtx 660ti in sli
OS on 250 GB Samsung SSD
120 GB Samsung SSD
750 GB Samsung EVO SSD
3 TB Seagate 7200 HDD
3 TB Western Digital 7200 HDD
1200 watt power supply

I am looking to upgrade to be able to render highlight videos i create faster but also to do film review and editing in Premiere Pro as quickly and smoothly as possible. I work with UFC Fighters and gyms and do a lot of video review from fights in premiere pro and then create promotional videos or highlights for fighters and gyms as well in After Effects. I have some money saved and would like to increase my speed. First question is would it be worth it to upgrade to a 2011v3 and what the difference between v3 and non is. As well as is there much of a difference or advice on the difference between i7 and xeon especially if it will make much of a difference when compared to the current 1155 i7-3770 non k i have. I also could use some advice on RAID and if it would make much of a difference on upgrading graphics card or cards and if a quadro would be worth it at all. Any help is appreciated i am not exactly a noob but a lot of this stuff gets confusing when considering all of the options available.
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Advice on upgrade
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 5:13:49 pm

A higher quality graphics card won't help much in AE unless you're using third-party plugins like Element 3d. Info on the GPU in AE here [link]

A Xeon processor by itself is often slower for work in AE. The power of Xeon processors is that you can have more than one in a computer, so anything that uses multiple cores can benefit from the vast number of them. A lot of stuff in After Effects is single core though, so the main core speed of the processor is the first thing to look at before you worry about how many cores it has. (But the number of cores DOES matter for rendering in many cases.)

You haven't said how much RAM you have. It's best to have 4GB per core (or more, if you really want it).

This page {link] will probably help give you some better ideas on what to buy.

This page [link] is to an event where members of the Premiere and After Effects team talk about how their software uses your machine's various resources.

And this page [link] will help you configure what you do have.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved