ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding "Glow" behind an object/figure

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony GentlesAdding "Glow" behind an object/figure
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 12:12:30 am

I'm currently editing together a project where I've been asked to add a "glow" effect to some figures in the background of a scene. There are 10 or so scenes where this effect must be applied, so I decided to do a test and send to the client.

The first scene I selected had three figures in it (two in the background, one in the foreground), so I used the Rotobrush Tool to individually separate the three figures from the original video clip. I then placed two different colored glow effects behind the two figures in the background. The figure in the foreground was then placed on top of each of the layers to hide any overlapping that may have occurred. The client was happy with the look, but all in all this took about an hour or so for a three second (0:03) clip.

My question is, is there a simpler/more efficient way to achieve this same effect, or does it look like I have to spend the extra 9 hours working on the remaining clips using the same method? Any suggestions would help

A screenshot of the first scene can be found here --> screenshot2014-11-24at7.03.13pm.png

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Adding "Glow" behind an object/figure
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 1:52:30 pm

I think your approach is good. Just make sure you get as familiar with the rotobrush tool as you can. A few helpful hints can make the work faster:

If you're on Ae CC, check out the new Refine Edge tool, which can be very helpful with fine details like hair:

And if you think working with Rotobrush is slow, remember it's faster than drawing and animating masks by hand!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Anthony GentlesRe: Adding "Glow" behind an object/figure
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 6:32:14 pm

Thanks for the links, Walter. Yeah, it looks like Rotobrush Tool is the way to go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved