ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha Pro - Stabilize plate for 2d planar tacking?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duca Simone LuchiniMocha Pro - Stabilize plate for 2d planar tacking?
by on Nov 24, 2014 at 6:03:40 pm

Hallo everybody,

I'd like to know if you suggest to stabilize plate BEFORE tracking in Mocha or not?

Normally, in a 3D tracking software (Syntheyes, 3d Equalizer, PFTrack, Boujou...) is highly discouraged to stabilize plate BEFORE tracking, but you should just to fix lens distortion. So the correct workflow in a 3D tracking should be:

1 - Convert plate footage in a sequence;

2 - Fix lens distortion

3 - track Plate

4- Import tracked sequence in a compositing sw (AE or Nuke...) and if you want, stabilize and distort CGI elements.

Are these operations suggested also for 2d planar tracking (for a Corner pin or a Mask shape, f.e.)?

Many thanks for a reply!

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Mocha Pro - Stabilize plate for 2d planar tacking?
by on Nov 24, 2014 at 7:55:23 pm

Hi Duca,
It depends what your goal is. In general I would suggest not pre-stabilizing your footage before any mocha work, similar to the 3D tracking workflow you describe.

mocha Pro and mocha Plus both include a lens calibration module that will certainly help the process and can be applied to undistort the footage, assist the tracker OR to be applied to the tracked insert. (there is a free mocha shape plug-in for After effects for this purpose).

That said, mocha is quite robust and more often than not users get great results without applying any lens calibration. Hope this helps.
Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Duca Simone LuchiniRe: Mocha Pro - Stabilize plate for 2d planar tacking?
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 7:00:08 am

Hi Ross and many thanks for your reply.
Okay, as I thought, this is also the method used for the 2D planar tracking, as well as for 3d tracking.

About lens calibration, I think we should always make it cause of course it helps tracking but it needs to distort CG (3d render, shape, text....) to match with original distorted plate, as well!

But anyway, what was important for me is to make ONLY a lens calibration without Stabilization, BEFORE tracking.

Okay, all clear! Again, many thanks!

Return to posts index

Duca Simone LuchiniRe: Mocha Pro - Stabilize plate for 2d planar tacking?
by on Nov 26, 2014 at 8:04:21 am

Hi Ross,
I'd like to know something about lens distortion correction in Mocha.
If I've rightly understand, when you import a sequence in Mocha, it makes automatically (in background...) a Lens distortion correction before tracking. Then, when have you made you track, you can export, for example a corner pin, selecting "Remove lens distortion".
It is right?

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Mocha Pro - Stabilize plate for 2d planar tacking?
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:52:23 pm

Mocha does not automatically calculate lens distortion. There is a specific module for this found in mocha Pro and mocha Plus. Sorry to say, not found in the Adobe bundled mocha AE.

That said because the robustness of planar tracking, often you can get a very good track without doing and lens calibration and many of mocha AE users are achieving excellent results without dealing with calibration.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]