ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Are these speeds normal?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brown
Are these speeds normal?
on Nov 21, 2014 at 12:45:31 am

I wanted to check to see if I'm doing something wrong because my render times are HORRIBLE. I have AE CS5.5 on my desktop. Here are the specs:
- AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 6-Core 2.8GHz
- 16GB DDR3 RAM 1600
- EVGA GeForce 550 GTX 1GB DDR5
- Win 7 Pro 64-bit
- Adobe installed on main 320GB OS drive
- Files are on a 2TB 7200RPM sata drive, also where I render to

My compositions are basic slideshow stuff, just high resolution photos from my SLR mixed in with short AVCHD film clips. I will use things like unsharp mask or color correction. I create the comp at 1920x1080 so I can publish HD files for my own watching on the PC. When I render and reduce size (720x480 for DVD) with AVI or MOV the render times are 2-4 hours for a 3 minute long clip. Is this normal? It seems awfully slow for a pretty stout PC. I've went into the secret menu and disabled layer cache and purge every 2 frames. I increased ram to utilize the max amount for AE. I also use CapsLock when adding to render cue, but I even close the comp preview entirely so it can't waste memory displaying each frame. Seems like I'm doing everything right but just getting really slow renders. If anyone thinks I'm missing something please edjumicate me! =D

I'm getting sick of having to wait until the next day to see if the render worked lol.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Are these speeds normal?
on Nov 21, 2014 at 5:30:35 am

[Dan Brown] "just high resolution photos"

This might be your problem. Although you are scaling the image down to fit your comp, AE is still counting every pixel on those when it's rendering.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Are these speeds normal?
on Nov 21, 2014 at 11:44:47 am

What are your memory and multiprocessing settings? Can you describe or post a screenshot of those preferences?

[Dan Brown] " I've went into the secret menu and disabled layer cache and purge every 2 frames. I increased ram to utilize the max amount for AE. "

These things can actually slow Ae rendering down.

The secret menu was a great last resort with AE CS4 and lower, which being 32-bit applications with a hard RAM limit, could easily run out of RAM. Purging frames forces Ae to throw away its in-memory layer caches, which forces Ae to re-render (over and over) things it could have cached. You are trading RAM for CPU utilization.

Increasing RAM to the maximum amount for AE seems like it would improve performance, but being too aggressive here actually hurts performance. See Todd Kopriva's "Performance tip: Don't starve your software of RAM."

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo....

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]