ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Collapse Transformation and Transparency

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin SimsCollapse Transformation and Transparency
by on Nov 20, 2014 at 1:58:04 pm

I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish what I want compared to what I have in my mind.

I was given an AI graphic to use by the client. The graphic is made up of multiple overlapping layers and a couple layers of text. It was made kind of small in an 8.5 x 11 AI file.

They want the graphic to be used as is, but then want another version of it enlarged and the transparency reduced without the text. I imported the AI as a comp so I could have all the AI layers and turn off the text layers when needed.

I created a precomp of the graphic without the text, turned on continuously rasterize. I then imported that into the my main comp, turned on collapse transformations, enlarged it, and reduced the transparency by 50%.

This is where my issue arises. Because the AI was made with overlapping layers and the collapse transform is on, reducing the transparency reduces each layers transparency rather than as a single graphic. So I see all the overlapping points rather than just a toned down graphic.

One possible solution I thought of was parenting all the layers to a single layer in the precomp and enlarging the graphic, thus being able to turn off the collapse transform.

I wasn't sure if that was the best way to go about fixing the issue though.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Collapse Transformation and Transparency
by on Nov 20, 2014 at 2:43:31 pm

Scale it the way you want, but DON'T touch the opacity. Then precomp it and play with the opacity of that precomp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Collapse Transformation and Transparency
by on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:34:09 pm

and if you don't want to do the simple solution Michael stated, you could do the arduous task of making full opaque alpha masks and masking things. But that would be lame.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved