ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any way to speed up my 200+ layer comp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack PedlehamAny way to speed up my 200+ layer comp?
by on Nov 18, 2014 at 10:32:43 pm

Hi, Im working on a project that is essentially a jumped up slideshow. its the kind of coverflow animation to showcase some 250 photos one after another. They are all linked to a null with various scripts and the null controls the movement of the slider. im using a dual xeon machine (16 total cores @ 3.4ghz) with 32gb ram and a 4gb quadro and 2 SSD's and yet a 3600 frame comp takes over four hours to render. i have dof enabled in my camera but its not excessive. Im thinking maybe AE is having a hard time moving all 250 images at the same time as they are all essentially in a straight long line in the comp and as they get closer to 'center stage' they rotate on the y axis to face the camera. Can anyone help me speed things up or think of any way i can make the file easier to work with. precomping isnt an option because of the way the script links the layers unfortunately but at the moment its very jumpy and laggy despite having plenty of hardware at its disposal. im using AE CS6.
Thanks in advance

Jack

Return to posts index

AD NarayanRe: Any way to speed up my 200+ layer comp?
by on Nov 19, 2014 at 8:34:52 am

Hi Jack,

A couple of things come to mind. Firstly, how big are the photos themselves? If these are a raw dump out of a camera, you might find it easier to batch resize them in photoshop till they're closer to the size of your comp. Secondly, I'm assuming the photos are all 3D objects within AE. I believe (I might be mistaken), that AE's renderer accounts for them even if they're not within your frame, and this might be adding render time. Trimming the layers, so that they're only as long as they are in your shot should help.

Also, on the back end side of things, try clearing up your cache, ensure enough memory is available to AE, and turn off memory intensive programs (anti virus springs to mind).

Cheers

Freelancer Video Producer at RedArch Designs | Media Manager and Motion Graphics artist at Tomorrowland Sound & Vision

Return to posts index

Jack PedlehamRe: Any way to speed up my 200+ layer comp?
by on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:25:46 pm

Hi, theyre all resized to 1024x768ish. trimming the layers doesnt really work in this instance as the script relies on them being the length of the comp. i actually solved my problem today by simply avoiding using AE for adding the titles. i also bopught the bg render script which ias the closest thing to real magic ive ever seen. i just rendered the entire thing out at one constant speed then reimported and timeremapped for the slowing down/stopping on images. absolutely insane plugin, would recommend to anyone who uses AE in any capacity!

Return to posts index

Simon ModeryRe: Any way to speed up my 200+ layer comp?
by on Nov 19, 2014 at 9:22:51 am

You can also split it up into several composition. Then pre-render these before combining them.
Just search for tutorials on "pre-render" there is plenty of stuff out there.

Head of Postproduction
Motherlode

http://www.simonmodery.com

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:26:41 pm

Thanks but unfortunately the way the script im using controls the rotation/position of the images means they all need to be in the same comp.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Any way to speed up my 200+ layer comp?
by on Nov 20, 2014 at 6:20:22 pm

Any effects applied to stills? If no, multiprocessing could speed things up if you're not using it.

ALSO: 4 hours isn't all THAT long. And AE isn't an editing application. You can't play back anything. You have to preview sections of it. It's a different way of thinking. If you're rendering to a lossless codec, file sizes will be huge, and you'll have to transcode for final delivery... and you haven't said anything about that yet.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2014 at 8:28:10 pm

No effects just camera DOF. The multiprocessing in AE seems very ver inefficient thats why i got the bg render script its amazing! 4 Hours for something this simple is a fairly long time.
Im aware its not an editing app i jsut posted because i had gone through all of the optimisation i knew how and it still wast good enough. As is always the case in a company i was given the project much later than i was told i was getting it and because most people dont seem to understand the work that goes into motion graphics and animation they just assume its all a copy and paste job. I literally got someone asking me once "can you copy and paste all of these pictures and text into 3d" as if it was like excel or something haha. so i really needed to cut the render time down to get it out in time. I ended up rendering to tifs and assembling it in premiere then using media encoder to encode it.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2014 at 8:37:46 pm

Ah, depth of field... that's pretty darn render-intensive, and I don't think you can use multiprocessing on it. The render time makes perfect sense now.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2014 at 8:56:54 pm

It still seems crazy long for a machine as powerful as mine. like i say dual 8 core xeons, 32gb ram, ssd, seperate ssd with cache on it, quadro. Obviously though AE has been 1upped by this script because it cut the render time down from 4 hours to less than 10 minutes with the same settings.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2014 at 9:47:18 pm

I understand... but if AE is limited to using only one procressor for depth of field -- and it's render-intensive, time-consuming calculation -- it doesn't matter how may processors you have.

Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:30:52 pm

Oh I see i didnt realise dof was a single threaded effect. I hope soon enough adobe updates the way they deal with effects and multiprocessing considering its the norm to have a powerhouse processor in a machine dealing with ae.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]