ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to stop preset animations!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kayvon AfshariHow to stop preset animations!
by on Nov 15, 2014 at 10:42:28 pm

Hi guys,

I'm very new to AE, so please bear with my question about animating text. I'm on Adobe AE CC.

I have text that I want to animate using 3 different animation presets at different times.
First, I want to use '3D tumble words forward'.
Once the text has settled, I want to use the 'Broadway' preset under the 'Lights and Optical' subfolder. It will continue to do that for about 1 minute
To finish, I want to use 'Raining characters out' under the 'Animate Out' subfolder.

The problem is that when I apply one of the presets, like Broadway, it applies it to the entire duration of the text. I haven't figured out how to get an animation preset to start and stop at certain frames. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I know this is a basic question, but I've searched online ad nauseam and haven't found the answer.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: How to stop preset animations!
by on Nov 16, 2014 at 11:27:03 am

Different Presets are wired differently. Some presets use keyframes (on Selector Range parameters and/or Animator Properties) to set up start and stop times. Others use Expression sliders (Effect Controls) which can be keyframed to start/stop the animation.

The Broadway preset seems to have a bug in that the Frequency Expression Control Slider is not linked to the existing Expression. I've fixed the link and added an Expression Control for Minimum Opacity.

Take note of the keyframes (hit U) when the Text Layer is selected to view the keyframes. The two sets of keyframes are required to complete the stop.

- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved