ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

effect for wandering around impatiently (like u see on shows)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Leeeffect for wandering around impatiently (like u see on shows)
by on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:19:57 pm

Howdy! I'm back after a long layoff but I know you couldn't care less right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Okay I'm here, of course if it wasn't for coming upon a bottleneck on my video editing process. How do I make the effect like I'm wandering around impatiently in a long footage? It's more or less similar to jump cut but not that abrupt yanno... It's like the ones you've seen on some good ol' flicks where the hero is squeezing his noggin hard to find a solution to a problem or the hero is waiting with bated impatience for somebody's arrival. Or more commonly, a guy got confined in a lock-up and he's moving from one pace to another inside there. U get the idea don't you? And perhaps the subject (person) in the footage will fade out and fade in at "teleporting" intervals. wat i meant by teleporting was that the subject suddenly appears at another spot. Pls help. TY

Return to posts index

James ArchibaldRe: effect for wandering around impatiently (like u see on shows)
by on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:32:42 pm
Last Edited By James Archibald on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:33:03 pm

Took me about four read-throughs to vaguely understand what it is you're trying to achieve. You ought to phrase your questions and intended result as coherently and clearly as possible to get the best chance of finding a solution.

This is more of an editing technique than an effect, although the sort of footage you're working with impacts massively on how big a job it is. If it's a lock-off shot, you're in luck because you just need to duplicate your footage for each position and time each hero-position to where you want it to appear, then animate the Opacity property to transition between layers, using garbage-mattes to overlap positions if required.

Moving shots get considerably more complicated. As long as you have a clean background plate you should be okay, but it'll probably be using the Roto Brush and Refine Matte to isolate your hero, then again animate the opacity property to bring them in and out of the shot.

It's very difficult to answer more thoroughly than that without knowing anything about the footage.

• Archie •

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: effect for wandering around impatiently (like u see on shows)
by on Nov 14, 2014 at 3:43:07 pm

I agree - we need more information. Are you preparing for a shoot or do you have footage you have to use?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved