ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE archive - Collect project not generating new project file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett HardingAE archive - Collect project not generating new project file
by on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:44:22 pm

Hi, my question is in regards to archiving an AE project. I have tried collecting it several times and for some reason it is not generating a project file. This makes me concerned that something is going wrong with the collect process. If there is another post that answers this question, please refer me. I could not find it.

For the collect, I selected "Collect Source Files: All". I've done this multiple times with this project and it only creates source media files, no linked project file or txt report. Duplicating the original project file and relinking all the media to the newly generated media would take a very long time, and regardless I'm not sure why I'm having this problem since it's never occurred in the past. I feel that I must be missing something obvious.

AE CS6 11.0.4.2
Mac OS X 10.7.5
2.7 Ghz intel core i5
16 gb 1333 MHz RAM

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: AE archive - Collect project not generating new project file
by on Nov 12, 2014 at 9:44:56 pm

it seems like you're doing everything right... i'd be curious what happens if you choose 'none (project only)' for collect files...

you did mention any basic troubleshooting, so i'll mention make sure you have the latest updates for your version of ae, and/or try a reboot...

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brett HardingRe: AE archive - Collect project not generating new project file
by on Nov 14, 2014 at 5:59:56 pm

Thanks for your reply Kevin.

When I choose "none (project only)" a project and txt report are generated. This is fine, however the new project is linked to all the old media, so it doesn't help in this situation.

My version of AE CS6 is up to date with all the current updates. I have tried rebooting the computer with no success. I have not tried re-installing the program. Is that the next step? Should I be trashing preferences somewhere?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:11:28 pm

you might try resetting the preferences... the easy way is to close ae, then hold alt-ctrl-shift (win) or command-option-shift (osx) when restarting ae, then click ok on the prompt that pops up.

one other question, have you tried doing a collect files on other projects since you noticed the issue with this project? if not, you might give that a try just to see if this is a project specific issue or not.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:27:19 pm

I just collected a different project and had no problems - media, project and report all were generated. Wish I had done this earlier. Before I trash my prefs, is there a way to trouble shoot the particular project for this issue?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:34:16 pm

try importing the problematic project into a new project and then doing a collect files -- it will probably ask you to save the new project first, just don't save over the project you imported (that probably goes without saying, but i'd hate for you to lose anything at this point)

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2014 at 8:08:41 pm

Ok, so I did that and I got an error message at the end of the Collect process that read: "error with file:....." and listed the file path. I moved that file to a different point in the directory and tried the collect again. This time it worked! For some reason one file was putting a flaw in the system...

Thanks for helping me work through this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]